Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fuel petcock broke of my zx6r. the part retails for about $70. does nayone know if leaving it on the "on" position will affect the engine or hurt the bike. i dont want to have to replace if i dont have to. i now open with pliers.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The only time mine leaves the ON position is when it starts to sputter I switch to reserve. Even during storage for the winter I leave it there, and have on all my bikes. No harm that I know of. They fire right up in the spring again (I do remove the battery).

Edited by - Grunt_99 on 09/03/2002 18:17:02

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't store my bike, even in the winter there are nice days every week or so. So I do not ever turn mine from ON, same as Grunt_99. The advantage of having the off is 2 fold, 1 it makes removal of the tank easier and less messy and 2 alot of people turn it to off and run the bike until it dies to get ride of the gas in the carbs before storage so the gas will not gum up inside the carbs.

So I would say your fine to leave it ON, unless your one who stores the bike for long periods of time. the longest my bike has sat is 3 weeks, I did not turn it to OFF. It was a little ruff on start up but cleared out with in seconds.

It's days like this I wish I still did drugs!

Edited by - aqon2welz on 09/03/2002 18:55:04

·
Registered
158 Posts
But is is really usefull when needing to switch to reserve! Maybe look at some junkyards or make up a was to be able to switch it. Maybe a wingnut or something. Just thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's my newbie understanding that if you're planning to store the bike, you can add stabilizer to the gas, run the bike awhile to be sure the "stabilized" fuel has run through the carbs, and then safely store the machine. In an untreated fuel system, leaving an entirely empty tank and carburetors might allow water vapor present in the vacated spaces to settle out and begin to cause corrosion. I can't refer anybody to any research, this is just 'received wisdom'. The most fanatically maintenance-minded man I know (who has owned, I'm told, about 25 bikes in his many years of riding and now has a Suziki V-Strom and that Suzi "best of 2001" dual purpose)says the stabilizer works fine for him. Says a lot to me.

"Abandon All Sloth, Ye Who Enter Here!"

·
Registered
158 Posts
Stabilizer is extemely helpful. I don't store my bike in the winter. As long as it's above 37 degrees, that's Fahrenheit, when I leave for work, I'm riding. If there's a cold snap and I can't ride for 2 or 3 weeks I go out in the garage and start her up to keep it all moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.