Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual doesn't show the complete picture with Fuel pump assembly maintenance. It doesn't show it has a low pressure cleanable tea bag filter. The high pressure side Is encapsulated in plastic but can still be back flushed. I don't know if the tea bag filter even has a separate part no. The dealer will probably say buy a whole fuel pump assembly. You can clearly see the crud that washed out. If not cleaned eventually it can block the high pressure filter and cause damage to the injectors.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yeap, the fuel pump counts as a fully replaceable part and not at all cheap too. Nice job and helpful pics. (y)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the reason I open the tank in the 1st place was whilst spraying painting it I noticed one of the wires going into the exterior base of the pump unit had snapped almost flush. It turns out was the fuel level / reserve. Luckily I was able to solder it. A realy sh**ty idea 3 wires stuck into resin, You would think it would be a rubber grommet with a protective sleeve but no that would be too obvious ( sorry for the rant but worked as an engineer with some design experience at Volkswagen for 22 years). The existing setup is always going to have the wires get hot briitle and eventually break. I see this problem has come up elsewhere on this site. If it cant be soldered then the following is required. Remove fuel pump unit from tank and take apart as above. Not shure if the plug piece holding plate is riveted on
or if they are torx screws. Anyway remove the holding plate and the plug piece, break out the resin and wires out the plug piece , fit new wires and epoxy them back.with a grommet and sleeve / heat shrink. If they are rivets then base would have to be drilled and tapped to reattach the holding plate with bolts / screws.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
65 Posts
For the cleaning can you reuse the pump seal or is it a replacement type? I was thinking about doing a full fuel system clean from tank to intake but just as a touch up and I don't wanna have to find out half way into the cleaning that some of those gaskets need to be replaced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only seals I saw were the 2 o'ring types in the picture 2. I wouldn't bother replacing these. From experience I would not take apart the white plastic moulding with the fuel pressure regulator. Those seals are recommended replacing on other bike brands.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Track is finally opening for testing tomorrow. Went to start the bike but but no joy. I happened to look down on the floor and saw an O ring. That's when I clicked I wonder if this is from the pump. Anyway toke it all apart again and found it fitted between the pump and the plastic housing on high pressure side. It must have fallen out when I toke it apart to get to the tea bag filter. Anyhow problem solved, Tomorrow is mainly to get some saddle time and check out the handling with the new front end. Also will see if the timing advance dialled in on the PCV has any affect. The weird thing is PCV's normally don't allow timing adjustment but the 17-030 model for the 06-11 EX650R (ER650) allows adjustment of the ignition curve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts