Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the 636, I can hear the fuel pump come on. Just like it's supposed to. If I just sit on the bike and rock it side to side I can hear the fuel pump comming off and on.
While riding, I had poor throttle response. Felt like the engine was not getting enough fuel. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump comming off and on. It didn't do this right away, took about a 15 minute ride for this to happen.
Then while trying to get the bike back home, it stalled and would not start. It'll turn over and she wants to start, but I think it's starving for fuel.
I crashed in DEC and this was the first test ride. Tip over sensor is good. All lights, signals, electrical stuff work. The cables and wires are routed correctly with no pinch points. Air filter is clean.
I'm hoping it's the kickstand sensor ? Can I just disconnect the sensor and ride it? If I can do that, and the bike runs good, then that would narrow down my troubleshooting.
Thanks for letting me pick the KawiForums member brains today.......

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you dropped your bike, you could have knocked stuff loose in the tank. Gas from a pump tends to have a lot of garbage in it that will build up over time in your tank. It usually sits nice and quietly lining your tank until it gets knocked around a bit. I recently had a similar experience with my friend's duc.

An easy way to check if the fuel pump is actually working is to hook up a rubber hose to the OUT nozzle on the tank and run it to a bucket, then just turn the key on. If you don't get a bunch of gas shooting out, your pump is probably clogged. From this point, you can either take the fuel pump out of the tank and try cleaning the filter and the pump, or take it to a shop. The duc mechanic we took my friend's bike to said the fuel pump's motor actually burned up, so he was forced to pay $200 for a new one. We probably could have cleaned it up in my garage and got it working, but I'm not too keen on taking things apart that will have to reside in my (or anyone else's) gas tank and have the potential to spark.

Hopefully that helps. But since I'm new to fuel injected bikes, if I'm talking out of my ass, anyone with more info feel free to correct me =)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention:

If it will start by spraying some starter fluid in the airbox, then you deffinately have a fuel supply problem. If it does not start, you might have an electrical problem, possibly with the plugs or ignition.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Fuel injected bikes dont work like carburetted bikes do. If there is not enough pressure in the fuel rail on an injected motor, the bike will just not run. This pressure is required for the injectors to shoot fuel into the cylinders properly. Fuel injection pumps will usually either work or not work there is no 'kinda work'.

It is normal for the pump to run when you first turn the key on to build up pressure in the system and then shut off. If the bike starts and idles fine it should be good. Now, if you crack the throttle and it stalls then you may have a fuel pump issue.

Best method is to connect a pressure gauge and check the rail pressure to be sure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running a different fuel tank. I cleaned it up then took my fuel pump and gas cap off my empty tank. I drained all the fuel after I crashed so I wouldn't have a bad fuel problem.
The bike has been sitting for an hour now and she starts right up. Just like earlier today.
It took about a 15 minute ride for the poor throttle response and stalling to happen earlier. The Kawi dealer service manager said to check the air filter then the kickstand sensor. I'm not sure how to check if the sensor is working properly other then killing the motor while putting it down in gear. The connection is tight.
I think you can check sensors with an ohm meter or such but that is something I'm very unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can rule out the kickstand sensor. The starter won't even kick over if you have a bad sensor. You can test it out. Put the stand down, click it into gear and hit the starter button. You'll see it won't even turn over.... UNLESS the sensor is broken. Then you better hold on for a rocky start [:M96]

But it's safe to say that your bike's symptoms don't indicate a faulty kickstand sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi, my name is david, and i have the same problem with my bike. sometimes it wouldn't start and when it did, i had poor throttle response too. but when it eventually started i rode it for a few minutes and just stalled on me. it wouldn't start after that and i had to walk it for a mile back to my house. what can i do to fix this problem? thanks guys. appreciate the concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.