Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out why my fuel pump isn't working. I can't find anything conclusive but it looks like the fuel pump should be getting 12v (correct me if I'm wrong), however it's only getting 6. I checked with it unplugged and plugged in. I also checked the voltages going into the relay, when unplugged. Two pins are at 12v the other two are zero.

The pump seems to work fine when I manually give it 12v.

I assumed this would be a problem with the fuel pump relay so I bought another one but it's still doing the same thing. Does anyone know what would be causing this?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Did you check the wiring between the fuel pump realy and the fuel pump plug...perhaps its shorting to something and you're loosing that voltage....weird.

what year is your bike (and model 7 or 9)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 98 ZX-7R.

Didn't find any short in the wire from the relay to the pump. The relay has 4 pins two of them get 12V, one goes to the pump and the last one seems come from the starter button and only gets 6v when starting. So the problem must be from that wire somewhere.

Anyway the bike runs fine once it's started. It just doesn't seem to pump any fuel until it's actually running. I might just wire up a primer button for anytime the carbies run out of fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem with a ZX6. Mine was the battery. When you cranck the engine there is not enough voltage left to feed the pump.
Maybe check the battery if you haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would make sense, I haven't had any trouble starting it when jumping it from my car. But because of that I bought a new battery and it didn't fix the problem. Perhaps I have to fork out for a better battery in order to solve it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having a zx7 - 91. My pump only operates with the engine running... same as most of my friends having zx7 model from '91 to 2002.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
this is how most of these carbed bikes work. the pump does not run until you press the starter button or the bike is running. they don't "prime up" like a fuel injected bike when you turn the key on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts