Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling with a fuel pump relay issue.

The bike is a 1996 ZX-11. Really nice bike. It had sat in a barn for about 5 years. The owner brought it in because he couldn't keep it running. After clearing out all the mouse debris, I was able to get the bike started, but regulator output was way high. Replaced the regulator with a Rick's Motorsports unit and now she is charging normally.

But!

I have an issue with fuel pump relays cooking themselves. I buy them from Amazon, plug right in, bike runs fine, but the SS relay immediately starts getting hot, and then burns out. I've replaced the fuel pump because the old one was leaking.

If I bypass the fuel pump relay and jump directly to 12vdc, the pump works great, cycles properly with pressure, bike runs perfectly.

I know the pump relay gets its signal feed from the engine mgt cdi/ignition module. Could that be at fault? Would the bike run with a messed up ignition module?

I've ck'd voltage going into the relay and it seems fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Rick
IHCKent

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like you have some high resistance in the fuel pump circuit, which is causing the relay to draw more current and hence overheat / burnout. As a start, clean and/or replace all terminations in the circuit. Also, check to see that no-one previously has spliced in the circuit to take a draw for something else. This will also cause an overdraw situation.

Hope this helps?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts