Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project bike. 2003 Vulcan 1600 classic. Non running before purchase. 6,500 miles

Have replaced: spark plugs, all fuses, fuel pump assembly, hoses, California evap crap, and if course cleaned out the tank.

Every time I start it up to prime, the fuel pressure regulator pops off! Now it did it with the old one to, and so I bought a new one.

If the petcock is not connected to the injector rail, the fuel will push through into a bucket and the regulator doesn't pop off....but if it is connected as should, it pops off during the very first priming!!

Frustrating.... There was substantial rust inside the tank and I did a very thorough cleaning and got all the particles out that I can make sure of. And before posting this I took the fuel pump completely apart again and insured everything was installed correctly and I took the entire injector line out and made sure that those were not clogged.

Now I am at a loss and I need your help I don't know if it's part of this California evap crap or if something is wrong with the tank. This also occurs if I leave the fuel cap open thus not pressurizing the tank there's something happening within the fuel pump I think....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To anyone who comes across this....The solution was zip tying the fuel regulator valve onto the gas pump assembly. Apparently there should have been some type of harness that I was missing and zip ties replicated this. Still looking for that secure strap thing though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts