Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out what is going on w/ my 01 6r. It starts right up, but hesitates when I give it some gas. It will knock and want to stall when I give it throttle. I have pulled the plugs, and they all looked the same.-Small bit of carbon, but not too bad. I had new NGK's so I threw them in. All vacuum lines seem in good shape.
It just doesn't feel like it is getting gas. Filter was clean, tank vent hose was clear,What is going on?
I did start it w/ the tank off and had the pump in my hand, Should I be able to hear it or feel it kick on when the bowls gets low?

What am I over looking? Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
give us some background here. How long has it sat since it ran fine? What has changed since you last rode it a nd it performed fine?

·
Registered
374 Posts
sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders and fuel starving. Whats your fuel level? turn to res and retry. May have a stuck float in the upper position not allowing fuel into that carb. A small tap on each carb bowl may free up a stuck float.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike sat for about a week, and has half a tank. I have tried "res" and "on" to no avail. Air filter looked very clean, couldn't find anything blocked.
I was trying to save pulling the carbs for a last resort.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ok this is gonna sound weird for troubleshooting but bear with me. Fire the bike and check each header pipe from each cylinder. If it running on 3 one will be cold, follow me? We can work from there before tearing anything apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks freebird, It is 10 pm and will have to wait until tomorrow.
I was running out of ideas, and was not sure what order to check things in.

·
Registered
374 Posts
no sweat bro. you say it runs but when you go to give it gas (throttle) it feels like its starving etc. It may run fine on all 4 cyl at idle but as you open the throttle it may fall on its face(idle circuit in carbs vrs main jets) . We want to find the problem cylinder and work from there before we take anything apart and possibly create another problem. I will send you a pm and feel free to call me tomorrow if you like, to resolve the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.