Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had the dealer do the 600 mile service, just to be safe with warranty stuff. Changed the oil yesterday @3k myself. Tried the usual hand strength to get the factory filter off. 9/10 times I can do it. Not this time. Went to the trusty filter wrench.....nope. At this point I'm a little pissed. I do the poke-a-screw-driver thing to it, and start to twist. Nope...the screw driver just tears an oblong hole in the filter. I try vise grips and all they do is slip along the filter body. Now I'm really pissed, and beers are neccessary to calm down. I'm thinkin....what ass-f*$ck at the dealership put this thing on so tight? Then I think maybe they didn't change it at all. Anyway, I go back to the garage with a little buzz, and use a hammer and punch on the hole created by the screwdriver and wahhhlahhh!...it budged about 1/4 ". So I put the filter wrench on it and it still wouldn't move, and believe me I'm no weakling. I use the punch again and finally get the thing off. Went with the purolator long version and Amsoil. Also I didn't fill the oil up so FU&*ING high like they did at the dealer...just enough to go between the high/low lines. AND, casting aside the placebo effect, the bike does seem to have a little more pep and it runs a little stronger and cooler, esp in this heat wave. Anyway, I'm kinda suspicious if they ever changed my filter at the 600 mile service....I know that makes no sense but I can't imagine any decent mechanic putting that thing on so tight. I've heard of them being on tight from the factory though.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I don't trust the dealership either. That is why I do my own service. Your warranty doesn't get voided just because you don't take it to the dealership. Just make sure you keep all the reciepts and document the date and what you did.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
for a heads up, next time. if the filter is too tight again. and it very well may be. hot and cold cycles cause them to get very tight. anywayyy...instead of punching the screw driver through, try hiting just on the lip, it should turn. there has been a few guys puncturing the oil cooler from going to far through the filter.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
for a filter that tight, I would have used a large hose clamp, like is used for wiring an oil filter in place for track days (unless you have a K&N). Tighten that up enough to start crushing the filter and then use a hammer and screwdriver/punch to start it rotating off.

Fortunatly for me, the factory filter came off easily enough when I changed the oil/filter the first time at 300 miles. I use a Mobil1 M-110 filter. Get it at almost any auto parts store and its about an inch or so longer than stock.

·
Registered
857 Posts
ive had filters like this befor i use the same method as always, large channel lock pliers, i recomend puting paper towel or somthing around the filter first tog et a better grip or even a cloth it will make it not slip as much and squeeze it tight until you start to cruncht he filter a bit then try and twist it off, works everytime...

·
Registered
640 Posts
when i changed mine the first time it took me an hour to get the filter off. the second time, after i put it on hand tight, it came right off with no problem... it seems like they are that tight from the factory so it's questionable if they really did put a new one on... DIY from now on!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Impact wrench works good.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now though I have peace of mind with the big-ass purolator pl14610 on there + amsoil. Took it for a ride today and it ran about 10 degrees cooler in the misdt of this heat wave.[8D]:D:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i hate filters. exp fram and ones that have that rough end so you can get a good grip. well, if it's on too tight, you just tear your skin. i just replaced both my car and bike filters. the thing that worked for me: get a filter removal tool (looks like a hoop with a lever sticking out of it). if it's too big, i wrap large rope around the filter until the tool makes a good fit. it's kind of a pain in the ass, but it works.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the same problem and was pretty aggravated. I ended up removing the left fairing and getting all up in there with an oil filter wrench which would slip off after giving it a good wrenching. eventually and after several tries, I would hammer on the oil filter wrench (nice and tight) then ever so slowly tap on the wrench handle to break the seal. After whacking it on and then whacking the handle it eventually broke loose. This was the first 600 mile oil change mind you. They slapped that sucker on there real tight. I don't trust the dealership and I still won't now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
yeah the filters from the dealer are torqued down and sand paper works good to take the filter off I had one hell of a time doing my friends bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.