Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this all-titanium Japanese-made system from Dan Kyle. I believe it has superior fit and finish compared to ANY other system I have seen. This system with a Power Commander gives NOTICABLE power gains across the full rpm range. An added benefit is how it smooths out the power band. Shifting is smoother, it pulls harder and is light as a feather. The bore from the 4 into 1 through the can outlet is big enough to stuff a loaf of bread through! Hard to beat. Hats off to Dan for importing this system.
dirtyert has attached this file: Arata_Exhaust.jpg:D

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You get a high-quality pipe for $1,100 bucks! The fit is awesome and everything short of the springs and rivets are made of Ti. It is lazer welded too, that is, welded by machines which is great for quality control and gas flow.

Blows the Akropovic away in terms of fit whereas it won't burn a hole in your belly pan or torch the plastic on the down pipe - a problem I had with the past TWO Akropovic full systems I've had! You'd think they'd get it right for almost $1,500 bucks. The more people I run into, the more bad news I hear about Akro fitment problems.

Cheaper than the Yosh with equivalent build quality too - can't go wrong with that, albeit Yosh does nip the Arata in the spigot-less header department. I've seen these Aratas on an R-6, ZX-6R(R)'s and a Gixxer Thou and the fitment and build quality is consistantly good. I will have one for my wheels of speed before the spring comes along!

BUY ONE!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've got the same system on my 636. It's head to head with Akrapovic. I love my Arata system and if you ever have a problem Dan Kyle has the best customer service I've ever dealt with when buying something for my bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Strongbad, ive had the full Evolution system on my bike now for about 1200 miles. The fit and finish of this system for the 03' RR model, which is identicle to the 636 model, is simply perfect. Not even close to rubbing, touching, or burning on any part of the Plastic. The oil filter is easily accessible due to the way the tube is bent. Installation took me about 3 hours or so, it matched up perfectly. I dont wanna take anything away from the arata system, as i believe it is a fine system, but to say that it blows the akrapovic away (fit&finish) is just not the case. Performance wise, well, i think the numbers on the dynos speak for themselves, akrapovic is the leader in that catagory. Price, i paid 1529.00 to my door with powercommander usbIII included. If im not mistaken, thats about $200 more than the arata, so the price difference isnt really that great.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Your personal experience is one thing. Mine is entirely another - it's the same reason I won't buy an American made automobile ever again - they're crap, and this is based on experience, wait no, it's fact.

Anyway, the question was how the quality compared to either the Akropovic and the Yosh, I've never heard of or seen anyone having trouble with the Yosh pipes in regards to fitment, build quality, or anything else for that matter. As stated above, I HAVE seen problems with the Akrapovic system on more than one bike, and more than one model. That's why I offered the opinion I did. Also of note, the oil filter on the GSX-R-1000 K1 was a pain in the ass to get to with the Akro pipe on it. On the -K2 model I had a Yosh system alas, there was plenty of space allocated for a tool-less removal of the filter.

In regards to the Arata, maybe it's a rule of numbers and enough of them aren't out there to start seeing mistakes on the production models we all get. Then again, the Yosh sorta blows that rule of numbers device off the argument table. I used to be all about the Akrapoviv - until I got one - now I'm not so thrilled about their products.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Strong Bad by the way is still the only member on this forum I've read having ANY sort of fit problems with Akrapovic. Not to say it didn't happen, as SB is a very well-respected member who I trust 100%, but for the literally dozens of members who have posted opinions on the Akrapovic full systems, I think you need to weigh the numbers. Not one member with an '03 has had a fitment problem posted. Possibly a freak flawed full system left their factory into his hands???

For fit and finish, I will be completely unbiased here and say this as I have many times. If I couldn't buy Akrapovic, my next choice in line (without ANY hesitation) would be Arata. They look amazing. They appear to be created with ultimate focus on build quality. They look like Akrapovic pipes dammit, and not just in terms of finish but also in design. Maybe that's why I like them so much. Hell, they even have a similar resonance to Akrapovic. My only beef is that there seems to be way too many joints in their systems, but that's a pretty small beef.

You won't go wrong either way. And for the record the Akrapovic systems for the '03 Kawis are top shelf for fit and finish. They're slightly more money than an Arata system, and sorry SB, but in my most humble opinion, rightfully so - their reputation is second to nobody. That's not to say that many people wouldn't be further ahead saving some dough and opting for the Arata to get a system that rivals the Akrapovic in every way from a smaller company with less of a track record.

So see Strong Bad, we can agree to pretty much agree on this topic, with the exception of personal experience with one pipe. I'd even consider Yosh to be next in line as you do. We must be long lost brothers. My dad was kinda like that in his earlier days ;).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, looks like I will be the one to say which is a superior pipe, i had a akra full sytem paid 1300. MY bike just got wrecked so insurance is buyng me another system, and I'm going to go with the arata.

Being i have had both pipes i'll let you know which is better, only thing difference is i do not have a powercommander.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That's a big BUT there sedice in terms of not having a PCIII using a full system. Both manufacturers state their full systems "require" rejetting or remapping of the fuel system. Here's a tidbit from the Akrapovic site FAQ section that emphasizes that full exhaust systems are not designed to work with the stock EFI mapping.

I bought an Akrapovic exhaust system. Do I have to rejet the carb? Which jet kit do you recommend to use with your exhaust system?

The Bolt-on, Slip-on, Sport Production, Racing and Street Legal lines were developed on completely stock bikes at factory settings (i.e. the standard carburetor jetting or Electronic Fuel Injection mapping). This means that nothing needs to be re-set in order to install these models. Again the Evolution line is the only exception; since they were developed on racing bikes, they require rejetting or remapping the EFI.

On some bikes it is possible to improve engine performance using aftermarket jet kits or different EFI settings. The choice of what to use is up to you.

IMPORTANT:

Never change the exhaust system and the jets or EFI mapping at the same time.

First replace the exhaust system, then the other things. Even replacing a stock air filter with an aftermarket one will require rejetting/remapping.

We suggest that all modifications be performed by authorized personnel.
... but for the record, we'll all be interested in your feedback on the two systems, at least in terms of fit and finish, since you won't be able to comment on the two systems with properly mapped EFI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.