Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a quick search but didnt find what i was looking for.
Is there a thread with insurance prices along with model, rider age and record?

I was quoted $1600/yr for full coverage on a 06 zx-6r. I am 29 wiht a clean record. Does that sound about right?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328
i did a quick search but didnt find what i was looking for.
Is there a thread with insurance prices along with model, rider age and record?

I was quoted $1600/yr for full coverage on a 06 zx-6r. I am 29 wiht a clean record. Does that sound about right?
There is no thread listing it all together, because there is no way to directly compare it.
2 guys with the same bike, same age, and same record could have vastly different rates depending on the city they live in.

State farm generally is cheapest for sportbikes from experiences posted on the board.

·
Registered
148 Posts
23 paying $750/year full coverage on 06 zx-6r [8D]

I got that deal by calling literally every insurance company that came up when I did a Yahoo! Local search for motorcycle insurance. Most other companies wanted 2x that. Just call everyone. Geico gave me a pretty good deal in NM (they don't cover MA). Also, make sure they are applying a discount for your MSF endorsement (you do have that don't you?).

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm 30 with a clean record, full coverage with all of the liability limits jacked up as high as possible is $667/yr through Geico. State Farm is less than half that, but they wouldn't cover me without also covering my cars. Their rates for cars and homes are high as hell. If I moved just my cars, the multi-line discount at my current insurer would be lost, plus the rate on the cars would go up so much that I would be losing money overall. Their home-owner's rate is so high I wouldn't even consider moving it. So State Farm looked good from the outside, but the real story is I'd be paying an extra $1500 for everything else to save $400 on the bike.

But damn, I thought $667 was too high for a ~30 year old with a clean record - $1600 is insane.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i hate state farm when my bike was stolen it took them 8 months to give me my money. and i pay half of what i used to with progressive now

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
$1400 a year with 2 crashes....and that's BEFORE my premiums go up cause of my crashes.

21 year old male, New Jersey...Rider Insurance.

For the love of God, go with State Farm. Sometimes they will only insure you if you have your car through them too. I don't really have a car so that's why I'm not with them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7
I'm 30 with a clean record, full coverage with all of the liability limits jacked up as high as possible is $667/yr through Geico. State Farm is less than half that, but they wouldn't cover me without also covering my cars. Their rates for cars and homes are high as hell. If I moved just my cars, the multi-line discount at my current insurer would be lost, plus the rate on the cars would go up so much that I would be losing money overall. Their home-owner's rate is so high I wouldn't even consider moving it. So State Farm looked good from the outside, but the real story is I'd be paying an extra $1500 for everything else to save $400 on the bike.

But damn, I thought $667 was too high for a ~30 year old with a clean record - $1600 is insane.
Actually, there are ways around this. But you have to look hard to find them, and your insurance agent may or may not tell you about them. I assume, in general, that all state farms operate the same way regionally, but prices vary location to location, and information given varys agent to agent.

That said, I was told by my state farm agent that there are two divisions of state farm and for the life of me I can't remember what they are called but the difference is as follows.

One of the divisions (the one that 99% of the people who get insurance from them use btw) will only bind coverage with a bike immediately (ie at the ins. agents office) if you also bind coverage with at least one vehicle.

The other division (the one most people never even know exists) will let you bind coverage on a bike only. Usually the rates are slightly higher, of course becuase of the no car multi line discount, but only slightly. However, in order to get this insurance, you have to APPLY for it...kinda like a credit application...wherein you have to wait 2 weeks for them to approve it before they will bind coverage.

Of course you can imagine that in the case of the other division, noone is hardly ever told about it because most people don't want or can't afford to wait for one reason or another for this application to get processed. Most would walk becuase they want their car/bike/boat/house whatever immediately. But they don't have to. Most agents won't tell you because they want your business...they don't want you walking.

What they also won't tell you is that state farm doesn't require you to keep coverage on that car you insure with your bike. How could they though? What if you sold your car and hadn't got a new one? What if it got totalled and you decided that your bike is going to be your primary mode of transportation?

Another thing they won't tell you is what they actually DID tell me, and what I have actually done. You bring your car and bike info to them. You insure the bike with whatever style of coverage you need. You insure the car with PLPD and no collision or anything else...it will likely be very cheap for the car. I don't recall anything that says you can't keep your original insurance on your car with coverage etc...just that in this case you ALSO insure it with state farm for just the basic basic basic coverage. So now you get coverage on your bike and your car, binding it immediately. Wait a month...pay the first month coverage on the car, and then promptly cancel the car insurance but keep the bike insurance.

My bike insurance was like $31 and change per month when I got it LAST APRIL. I cancelled my car insurance with state farm LAST May (because I still kept my coverage on my car with AAA, becuase of home/second car multi discounts), and I've been through TWO six month policy renewals. My insurance is now $32.79 per month with state farm on my bike ONLY.

I asked my agent if I could do this when i first got the insurance back in april...they said "sure, why not?". So I did and it worked.

Everytime a insurance thread like this comes up I repeat this story. To date I don't recall anyone ever saying they did it to and it worked. BUT IT DOES WORK. Maybe yall think i'm bullshitting you and thats fine..continue to pay your $1000/yr through geico or wherever. I'm just trying to help.

Also heres another tip which I found out while getting my gf's daughters state farm car insurance set up. If you want a multiline discount...you can take out a small like $50000 life insurance policy on yourself through them to get it. Depending on your factors the discount may be more than what the life insurance costs in which case you save more money and in case anything happens to you...your family will have that policy as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by 05 ZX

Actually, there are ways around this. But you have to look hard to find them, and your insurance agent may or may not tell you about them. I assume, in general, that all state farms operate the same way regionally, but prices vary location to location, and information given varys agent to agent.

That said, I was told by my state farm agent that there are two divisions of state farm and for the life of me I can't remember what they are called but the difference is as follows.

One of the divisions (the one that 99% of the people who get insurance from them use btw) will only bind coverage with a bike immediately (ie at the ins. agents office) if you also bind coverage with at least one vehicle.

The other division (the one most people never even know exists) will let you bind coverage on a bike only. Usually the rates are slightly higher, of course becuase of the no car multi line discount, but only slightly. However, in order to get this insurance, you have to APPLY for it...kinda like a credit application...wherein you have to wait 2 weeks for them to approve it before they will bind coverage.

Of course you can imagine that in the case of the other division, noone is hardly ever told about it because most people don't want or can't afford to wait for one reason or another for this application to get processed. Most would walk becuase they want their car/bike/boat/house whatever immediately. But they don't have to. Most agents won't tell you because they want your business...they don't want you walking.

What they also won't tell you is that state farm doesn't require you to keep coverage on that car you insure with your bike. How could they though? What if you sold your car and hadn't got a new one? What if it got totalled and you decided that your bike is going to be your primary mode of transportation?

Another thing they won't tell you is what they actually DID tell me, and what I have actually done. You bring your car and bike info to them. You insure the bike with whatever style of coverage you need. You insure the car with PLPD and no collision or anything else...it will likely be very cheap for the car. I don't recall anything that says you can't keep your original insurance on your car with coverage etc...just that in this case you ALSO insure it with state farm for just the basic basic basic coverage. So now you get coverage on your bike and your car, binding it immediately. Wait a month...pay the first month coverage on the car, and then promptly cancel the car insurance but keep the bike insurance.

My bike insurance was like $31 and change per month when I got it LAST APRIL. I cancelled my car insurance with state farm LAST May (because I still kept my coverage on my car with AAA, becuase of home/second car multi discounts), and I've been through TWO six month policy renewals. My insurance is now $32.79 per month with state farm on my bike ONLY.

I asked my agent if I could do this when i first got the insurance back in april...they said "sure, why not?". So I did and it worked.

Everytime a insurance thread like this comes up I repeat this story. To date I don't recall anyone ever saying they did it to and it worked. BUT IT DOES WORK. Maybe yall think i'm bullshitting you and thats fine..continue to pay your $1000/yr through geico or wherever. I'm just trying to help.

Also heres another tip which I found out while getting my gf's daughters state farm car insurance set up. If you want a multiline discount...you can take out a small like $50000 life insurance policy on yourself through them to get it. Depending on your factors the discount may be more than what the life insurance costs in which case you save more money and in case anything happens to you...your family will have that policy as well.

Excellent info, thanks for sharing. I actually have an extra car or two (project vehicles) that I could use for the vehicle binding, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll definitely keep this in mind - thanks again.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7

Excellent info, thanks for sharing. I actually have an extra car or two (project vehicles) that I could use for the vehicle binding, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll definitely keep this in mind - thanks again.
:D No problem...just hoping to help someone out someday with this info...freaking insurance is crazy nowadays...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Eazy, i'll have to give that a try.
FYI - State Farm's agent informed me that they would not insure a cycle for me if they did not have my auto policy as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FYI - State Farm's agent informed me that they would not insure a cycle for me if they did not have my auto policy as well.
That is true because they will put your bike as a pleasure vechile. i think its worth it though. and you say you have a clean record. im 22 and i pay 600ish a year for my bike. bout $50 a month my friend is 28 and he pays like $23 a month. on another note state farm was very good about it when my bike got stolen. they paid for the bike+Tax+regisration. and any modifications i might have had on the bike. i didnt have any.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Try a different agent, or do just as I said...people call up and change/cancel insurance policys all the time. My personal opinion, take it for what its worth, is that your agent is telling you what they want you to hear.

Nothing says they can't lie to get your business, just like nothing to stop you from calling them up a month later and saying "cancel my car insurance, I sold that pos but keep my bike and life insurance policy"...

Plus I think they are more like "middle men" than anything else...i mean just because "Joe Smith" insures me doesn't mean I can't call up "John Doe" and change my policy either...that is to say I don't think your agent can arbitrarily make the decision to drop your coverage on your bike if you cancel the car.

Now maybe that differs in a case where because of your location they have certain rules, but i have no idea...I just knwo what worked for me! :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
If any of you are in the military, make sure you give USAA a call. They have awesome rates, and even better support. $141.67 every 6 months, which comes out to a grand total of $23 and change. Not too shabby if I should say so myself.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by usmc8fan
If any of you are in the military, make sure you give USAA a call. They have awesome rates, and even better support. $141.67 every 6 months, which comes out to a grand total of $23 and change. Not too shabby if I should say so myself.
whoa....USAA does motorcycles? Last I checked they only did cars.

Hrm...maybe I'll call them and find out. USAA is the shit...I love them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
They most certainly do. They want all the vehicles you have to be with them, so if you already have your cage insured with them, it's a piece of cake. Let me know if you have problems, and I 'll give you the name and number of the lady that did mine. Very helpful, and pleasant to work with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.