Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm leaning towards the high mount Hindle F/S.
One place has them for $648-$876 depending on the can.
I have a M4 high mount S/O right now but want to get 140+ hp out of her.
Found some Muzzy systems for $550 round,$600 oval so its making it a tuff call. I would love a high mount full system and FP jet kit for around $750 but just not seeing any Hindle close-outs or good pricing.

Most online venders that have good exhaust prices don't carry hindle.

Any good vendors out there carry Hindle at a cheap price?????

Thanks people

·
Registered
399 Posts
ooohh man, you gotta get a high mount leo vince, full system of course. i have one on my bike(2002 zx9r) and it is the shit. i love it, and yer prolly not gonna get 140hp unless you gotta bunch of other shit on yer bike to help it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
From what I understand, the 00's and up gain almost nothing with a full exhaust. IMHO, I don't think it's worth the $$.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by 2KZX-9
From what I understand, the 00's and up gain almost nothing with a full exhaust. IMHO, I don't think it's worth the $$.

That's a lie!! Ok... not a lie but it aint true!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does anyone have any numbers to support the big difference in power with swapping the entire exhuast system as opposed to just the can? Just curious....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I in the right forum?:)
Had to check. Anyway I've seen
dyno charts w/ full exhaust PROPERLY jetted/tuned 9's
at 140+. http://www.zx-9r.com/my_bike/index.htm
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx9rdyno.htmare a couple. Ken Hill is a local AMF racer who has race prepped a few 9's that have competed quite well and put out some good #'s.
I believe that a 2002 can pull an extra 12 hp with the right combo of bolt-ons if its tuned right. I'm not talking about those who tune to get rid of carb issues. I'm talking about tuning for max power.
I plan on bolting up as much as possible and If I can't get 140...I'm going in to do some head work.

Shame on y'all for the negativity!:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe they are worth alot of hp, but I just haven't seen it. Ivan himself say's the stock headpipe on the 00+ bikes is an "amazing" piece, and I was just relaying my understanding after talking to him about my jet kit. I've seen quite a few dyno's and full exhaust's just don't seem to be show consistent significant gains over a slip on(on 00-03 bikes). Personally I just couldn't justify the price and loss of low end for a full exhaust, when the gains seem questionable and insignificant. If I'm wrong, I'd love to stand corrected. Does anyone have any proof?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have the HINDLE header pipe off of Michael Taylor's 2000 (or 01?) Canadian Superbike. I actually have the full system. Back in those days, a lot of teams used ZX7RR's instead of ZX9's because they could get the same power from the better bike, 7R.
I think Kawi prepped these bikes, the 9R's, but didn't primarily use them all the time, perhaps someone knows better? Actually, come to think of it, back then, in CDN Superbike, I think the Superbike class was 750cc, and then there was an open class, inwhich they raced the 900.

So anyways, the reason I went off topic sorta, is because there must be people out there in the industry that tuned these damn bikes back then in order to compete against the 1000's!! They must have been able to get a reliable 145+ hp outta them.

SO, as for my FULL system, it may be a 'one off' setup. I had to cut out some of my lower fairing, no big deal, very neat. Also, MY header pipe is 1" lower to the ground under the bike. I would suspect the 'production' HINDLE fits in place of the stock. My header pipes are much larger than the stock and are stepped. Mine goes 4-2-1. The TITANIUM is VERY light in wieght compared to stock, unreal!
As for power gains, I am unsure. My bike made 130.9 rwhp on 2 different dynos!! It actually has a real smooth curve, but up top it goes flat..so maybe with further jetting the curve would continue on towards 135+ hp. I have a Factory Pro jet kit and +4 advance. Both dyno operators liked the curve and throttle response and said they'd leave it alone! One of these dyno's is used by a Superbike team, and it reads lower than others.
I haven't lost any low end torque that I can feel, still pulls amazing wheelies from low rpm with stock sprockets.

Hope I am not rambling on....LOL!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you touched on a good reason for getting a full system....weight. They definately are lighter than the stock setup. As far as power goes, you example supports the thought that full exhausts don't do awhole lot on 00+ bikes. My bike is a 2000 model, and made more hp with only a slip on, jet kit and +2 advancer. I know dyno's aren't the end all, be all...but...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not at all 87.
Did Michael Taylors bike run a 950cc zlock big bore kit? I have a feeling that with some fine tuning you would see higher numbers up top. I think it may be a bit too much exhaust for stock internals. Here is another link http://www.dynobike.com/zx9r.htm Most of the charts I've studied shows that with a full system the torque curve comes on at 4500rpm vs stock 4000 rpm. Above 4500 they tend to produce more torque. Your basically just moving the curve to a higher rpm range and extending it on top.
My last Kawi redlined at 19.5K. power band was 8k-19K. Talk about a screamer!:) You won't see those bikes here in the US. I would of brought the bike back with but it is not allowed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Originally posted by tha_reids
Not at all 87.
Did Michael Taylors bike run a 950cc zlock big bore kit? I have a feeling that with some fine tuning you would see higher numbers up top........
I fully agree with your post..and like I said, someone MUST know what was done to these race bikes!! I 'knew' or 'met'a lot of people in the industry back when Crevier was on top in Canada aboard Kawis. My old g/f's family all raced RZ Cup. So it wasn't unusual to speak with guys like Crevier for hours on end on the Saturday nights of the race weekends, as they all came up through the ranks together. Unfortunately for me back then, I wasn't interested in this stuff!! Now as the years have gone by, like 15+, these guys wouldn't have a clue who I am! Not that I was anybody but a punk kid (18yrs old)!!! My point is, again, there must people that tuned these bikes back then and even in 2000+ that know what needs to be done!!
So now what I have done, is told my fiance, who works at the local dealer, to find out if her Kawi Rep knows these race team guys...as I am sure someone has a trailer full of race parts from ZX9's!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you find that trailer, let me know!:)
I'll tell my wife we're going to Canada for vacation.
She can never know the real reason for the trip:)

Anyway, I'm gonna try and reach Ken Hill or someone who has race prepped some 9's. I was at Sears Point this weekend but had other motives. I do know one of the 2000 bikes had 2002 carbs on it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Right on, tha reids!!! I'll let ya take a ride on my sled!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yup, that's it...see the lower fairing is not stock. I had to cut out mine a little. I'll post pics on Sunday.

btw...where'd you find that pic? I searched high and low for pics of the bike!!

I sold the 20" muffler and titanium midpie and used my own 18" and mid pipe. His were dented somewhat!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heres that page. Its in the gallery section
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/cnj/
I just did a yahoo image search and ran into it after a few clicks.
Man, I want that exhaust!:) I hope it fits my bike the same way the pic shows. The cannister isnt too high and I like that.

My M4 high mount is too high and has 2 sharp 90 bends. Its more of a ultra-high mount.
I do get thumbs up from people I pass while wide open. My pipe is really tame but after 7k it hits a different pitch (ferrari like).

87, how does your pipe sound??? Sounds great I bet.
You know, those lowers on race bikes have to be a solid design (no open area under the motor for easy oil changes)and are made to contain the oil in the event of a leak.

You got some full side shots of your bike, 87???

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by 2KZX-9
Personally I just couldn't justify the price and loss of low end for a full exhaust, when the gains seem questionable and insignificant. If I'm wrong, I'd love to stand corrected. Does anyone have any proof?
check out the dynos on ivans website, you hardly lose anything down low and gain so much in the midrange and top end. full system is very worth it... so is an advancer ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
tha reids, I am headed out for the weekend, back on Sunday, I'll get some good pics then. Remember, my exhaust is 'that' exhaust off Taylor's bike. NOT the exhaust you would purchase as a consumer!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, I realized that when you told me its a stepped system.
None available for sale anywhere. I found some listings but
they always say "item unavailable". I wish Hindle put out more specs on the systems.

Anyone know the diameter of the mid pipe on the full system???

As for Ivan, I think its contradicting to say the stock header is a work of art, no gains to be had by changing and at the same time have dyno charts posted on his site that states otherwise.

Have a good weekend 87gtnos.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.