Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have found a full system for my bike. I was looking for Akrapovic or Muzzy as my jet kit is designed to work with these pipes (Akra is 4-1 and Muzzy is 4-2-1 but the length of the secondaries is very short unlike some others that have long secondaries.) My question is, will the full exhaust make my bike a dog down low and a pain in the a-- to drive around town due to big dips in HP curve? I have an old Katana that I put a Vance and Hines Pro Supersport pipe on and I was never able to get it to carburate smoothly down low 2-4K range. It ran fine on the track so I didn't mind because it was a track bike.

or should I get bolt-on? Now something to consider is that I may put big bore kit (zlock or muzzy-I already bought a cylinder block off ebay for this purpose) so the full system may be necessary to get full potential of the extra cc's?

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you are re-jetting anyway, go with the full and have it dyno tuned, you will get a smooth crisp throttle. If you just throw them in and don't tune it right you could end up with some flat spots ect.

Big bore kit will jump you up there, but make sure you read everything good and bad about doing this to your motor. There are heat related issues associated with the big bore kits, and you need to address those before you do the upgrade. My original plan was to do the same, but my engine builder convinced me to just do the head work and freshen up the motor. End result is that it's actually putting out better numbers than what the big bore kits do. Find a reputable speed shop and make an informed decision.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what head work did you have? port, polish, 5 angle valve job? any cam work? I have browsed a web site (APE Kawi page) and they do all this kind of work.

www.zxxone.com

what exhaust do you have, devil dog and what kind of numbers are you putting out now and before the head work?

on another topic, do you have illumiglo gauges? Your picture looks like the reverse glow kind. do you like them? I thought of these either the regular (thought might be too bright at night?) or the reverse. the needles on my 99 are white so I wouldn't be able to see them too well during day. Could paint red but wouldn't be great at night. What I really wanted is to get a set of needles from a 2000+ since they are translucent red and glow at night. can't find them anywhere. Not certain that they will even work-if the shafts that they go on are same diameter in 99 and 00.

·
Registered
261 Posts
URL]
what head work did you have? port, polish, 5 angle valve job? any cam work? I have browsed a web site (APE Kawi page) and they do all this kind of work.

www.zxxone.com

what exhaust do you have, devil dog and what kind of numbers are you putting out now and before the head work?

on another topic, do you have illumiglo gauges? Your picture looks like the reverse glow kind. do you like them? I thought of these either the regular (thought might be too bright at night?) or the reverse. the needles on my 99 are white so I wouldn't be able to see them too well during day. Could paint red but wouldn't be great at night. What I really wanted is to get a set of needles from a 2000+ since they are translucent red and glow at night. can't find them anywhere. Not certain that they will even work-if the shafts that they go on are same diameter in 99 and 00.
The head work was performed by Ed at 4&6 Racing http://www.4and6.com/contact.php, he ported, polished, reground and decked the head. I started off at 127 RWHP and am about 159-160 RWHP now.

I have the Micron full exhaust, but I don't know if you can get it anymore..... They went back to just making car exhausts.

The gauges are the reverse indiglow gauges, and you can't miss them day or night. With your gauges it could be an issue, but you could always change the bulb color for the needles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
factoryPhil, are you able to digital record your bike? then you could email to me. I would like to hear a full muzzy pipe as that is what I may get. Worried may be too loud!

how long have you had the 998 kit? did you install yourself? I was planning on installing either muzzy 998 or zlock kit. zlock has all the machine work and clearances measured with pistons numbers and ring clearance and all and is ready to install. I don't know about muzzy kit. any problems with overheating? do you run it hard and where do you live-to get idea of temperature.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=18242
According to the above link, I have has my 998 since 7-15-04. It's still strong and not any major problems with it. I am burning a little oil recently, but this is after several thousand miles!!!! It runs hotter than stock but I still can do parades and Bike Week traffic with ease. I did install a Muzzy fan and it helps with the heat. I had an overheating issue due to the thermostat switch that crapped out on me. I still have to get my head ported and polished, but I'm fighting a slipping 2nd gear!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have to check out the muzzy fan to see what difference is? just bigger? I have heard that undercutting the lower gears is a good idea when putting big bores on the 9R. I t hink that is about $300-400, but that would be if you sent the gear set I believe? any dyno numbers before/after? what pipe do you have?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The fan is aluminum and six blades instead of the four blade plastic stock. I know about the undercutting. I'm debating refreshing the whole motor, adding ceramic bearings, port polish, cams, bigger valves or just upgrade to a zx10. Sorry no dyno numbers. and its a full titanium Muzzy with CF can.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm such a thread jacking post whore!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice numbers! I'll be giving 4&6 Racing a call very soon.
Save yourself the call, they just closed down permanently about a month ago after 25 years. This economy really sucks, and guys like these are hard enough to come by.....

You could try Safety First Racing http://www.safetyfirstracing.com/contact/ in Arlington Heights, IL. My brother's wife works there and I know Kevin Hanson the owner. Tell Him Craig (Kristie's Brother-in-law) told you to call him. Zlock and Muzzy are the other 2 great choices if you want to go bigger.

·
Registered
173 Posts
+1 on Zlock I have talked to them a couple different times (without ever buying anything from them) and they were extremely helpful. I've heard, mostly on a different board, that the Zlock kits are very reliable and make good power.

I have to also say that Kevin won't steer you wrong. Great guy, must have been because of where he grew up, lol. (he was a couple years ahead of me in the same small town HS)

I have a 973cc Wiseco kit that I bought the complete engine. Ported, 2mm bigger valves, cams......runs real well, I need to get it dynoed to see how strong it really is but the guy I bought it from said 160 rwhp. Zlock's bigger kit would probably be equivilent. But more than anything get all the work done i a reputable shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts