Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tossing around the idea for a month or 2 to sell my motorcycle I decided to keep it after having to spend nearly 60 bucks in a single week traveling to and from the fire academy and work. Now I am on this kick to fix up my bike a little, jet kit, steal braided brake lines, possibly new exhaust.

To get to my question though, would it be better performance wise to get a full system exhaust built specifically for the zzr 600 or to get a 636 stock exhaust system for cheap on Ebay and get a bolt on from yoshi or some other company? I figure the 636 will allow more air to flow out of my bike which would be a pretty decent upgrade. However I am unsure of the weight of the system, now I realize I am probably splitting hairs here but which would be a better upgrade or is it even worth it?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The slightly shorter lap times and slightly less weight from a new full exhaust is probably not worth the extra money, unless you are racing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I went with a 03 636 header and a slip on. Worked really well and is substantially lighter than the stock exhaust.

You will need to swap out the oil pan with an 03/04 636 one as well though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have the numbers for the weight of the headers? I didn't expect the 636 to be lighter, I am really tempted to get them now after ordering my steel brake lines.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the numbers. The ZZR header is just plain heavier. Of course, this was comparing minus the 636 mid pipe. Though that didn't add a significant amount of weight.

For me it was just a better value vs a full system. Performance gain wasn't as good, but I didn't want to spend the extra money for the extra gain.

Went with a Dan Moto slip on and mid pipe. Works well for me.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I went with a 03 636 header and a slip on. Worked really well and is substantially lighter than the stock exhaust.

You will need to swap out the oil pan with an 03/04 636 one as well though.

You don't need the 636 oil pan. The 636 header barely touches the J pan and doesn't hurt anything. I've had the 636 header on my bike for well over 10,000 miles with no issues.

Sorry, I don't have the numbers. The ZZR header is just plain heavier. Of course, this was comparing minus the 636 mid pipe. Though that didn't add a significant amount of weight.

For me it was just a better value vs a full system. Performance gain wasn't as good, but I didn't want to spend the extra money for the extra gain.

Went with a Dan Moto slip on and mid pipe. Works well for me.
The J header is heavier because it is physically larger and is filled with baffles. The 636 header has no baffles.

I'm running the 03/04 header, 90° bend I ordered online, 07/08 midpipe, and 07/08 carbon fiber exhaust. I had to install a jet kit with this setup due to all the extra exhaust flow.

I suggest you just go with an 03/04 exhaust setup off of ebay or something. Bolts right up, even the J uses the same hanger for the can too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't need the 636 oil pan. The 636 header barely touches the J pan and doesn't hurt anything. I've had the 636 header on my bike for well over 10,000 miles with no issues.

The J header is heavier because it is physically larger and is filled with baffles. The 636 header has no baffles.

I'm running the 03/04 header, 90° bend I ordered online, 07/08 midpipe, and 07/08 carbon fiber exhaust. I had to install a jet kit with this setup due to all the extra exhaust flow.

I suggest you just go with an 03/04 exhaust setup off of ebay or something. Bolts right up, even the J uses the same hanger for the can too.
I heard that the pipe doesn't line up exactly right and requires some modification to mount properly. Not sure if this is true or not.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
What pipe? You mean the muffler? I do know that the 03/04 636 and J model use the same passenger foot pegs. I used a 636 titanium exhaust hanger on my J when I had the side mounted exhaust (it deleted the passenger pegs altogether). If it doesn't line up perfectly then I'm sure it's an easy fix.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I'm almost certain I have a header that'll fit your bike. Bought it off ebay a while back advertised as being for a 2007 ZX6R. Turns out it was actually for a 2007 ZZR600... yeah I was pissed. Tried for arbitration and was told that I'd have to pay to mail it back to America from Canada. So roughly $40 to get it here, then $40 to send it back and they would refund my original purchase price of $120 before shipping. This was AFTER 4 emails back and forth in which they said things like, "you should have known it wouldn't fit your bike from the picture." OR, "are you sure you know what you're doing?" Pretty sure I know the difference between a side mount and undertail exhaust.

So long story short it's been sitting on a shelf in my garage for 3 years. $90 + shipping and it's yours.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm almost certain I have a header that'll fit your bike. Bought it off ebay a while back advertised as being for a 2007 ZX6R. Turns out it was actually for a 2007 ZZR600... yeah I was pissed. Tried for arbitration and was told that I'd have to pay to mail it back to America from Canada. So roughly $40 to get it here, then $40 to send it back and they would refund my original purchase price of $120 before shipping. This was AFTER 4 emails back and forth in which they said things like, "you should have known it wouldn't fit your bike from the picture." OR, "are you sure you know what you're doing?" Pretty sure I know the difference between a side mount and undertail exhaust.

So long story short it's been sitting on a shelf in my garage for 3 years. $90 + shipping and it's yours.
I already have the stock exhaust and looking to upgrade to the 03/04 636 exhaust for the weight loss and performance upgrade.

One last question, I upgraded to a K&N air filter so along with the new headers which will be blowing out more air; I assume I will have to take it to a shop to get tuned properly? I am going to buy a jet kit for it before I get the exhaust but I have been reading that after doing modifications to this extent it is recommended to get someone to tune the bike.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Sorry, I should have been clear. Its an aftermatket micron header.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
If you're capable of removimg your carbs and taking them apart (not hard at all), then get yourself a Factory Pro jet kit and do it yourself. There are instructions included along with suggested settings for what intake and exhaust you're using. I have a FP kit on my cruiser and my fighter and both work great. I don't even need the choke to start either one of them until it gets below 40° or so. Don't waste money paying a shop unless you absolutely cannot do it yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're capable of removimg your carbs and takimg them apart (not hard at all), then get yourself a Factory Pro jet kit and do it yourself. There are instructions included along with suggested settings for what intake and exhaust you're using. I have a FP kit on my cruiser and my fighter and both work great. I don't even need the choke to start either one of them until it gets below 40° or so. Don't waste money paying a shop unless you absolutely cannot do it yourself.
Hmmm sounds good then, yeah I've done all the maintenance on my bike including checking the clearance of the shims so I would imagine it'll be easy to do but I've just never open the carbs up before.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Hmmm sounds good then, yeah I've done all the maintenance on my bike including checking the clearance of the shims so I would imagine it'll be easy to do but I've just never open the carbs up before.
Simple stuff. If you get a Factory Pro kit it'll come with everything you need, including allen screws to replace the philips pieces of shit screws that hold the float bowls on. There's a sticky for cleaning carbs with pictures.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dynojet kit only sells stage 1 kits for our bike, is that going to be enough fuel for the bike giving all the air that will be pushed through after my exhaust is in? I was hoping for a stage 2 because it is meant for a modified exhaust and after market air filter.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Factory Pro, not Dyno Jet. The Dyno Jet may work fine, but I prefer Factory Pro. The kit I got I believe is a stage 3 kit. It came with pilot jets, four sets of main jets, needles, springs, and allen screws to replace the factory float bowl screws that try to strip whenever you try to remove them. If you want Dyno Jet, look for their stage 3 kit as well. I'm not sure that the stage 1 is enough for modified exhaust and a high flow air filter. Only an a/f reading on a dyno would tell.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If you go with DJ the stage 1 should be enough, that "stages" nonsense is marketing BS anyway.

You get an assortment of jets with the kit, and the needles are adjustable. the stage 3 is designed for drag racing application where the air box is removed and replaced with individual pod filters on each carb.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to factory pros website, they have 3 kits. One is the basic at 130, second is the same except with titanium needles for 150. The third one is a full race kit which they say is less drop and go and more difficult to install and is 180. I doubt I need the last one but is titanium needles worth the extra money if that's the only difference?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts