Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive only had the bike 3 months and 2700 miles on it (i like to ride a lot :) ) and this is my 2nd flat tire!!

the 1st one i got getting on to the interstate here after only having the bike a few weeks... picked up a huge nail.

so i took that time to replace it with a Pilot Power.

now i went out to ride this morning and same fvcking thing!! another damn nail in the tire of my new Pilot.

Im assuming the dealership where i bought/had it installed wont do anything for me most likely huh? Do they offer one of those tire replacement deals or whatever they are? i might have to purchase one of those or something.

i might just patch this damn hole, this tire is almost brand new... id hate to spend the money on another one :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97
ive only had the bike 3 months and 2700 miles on it (i like to ride a lot :) ) and this is my 2nd flat tire!!

the 1st one i got getting on to the interstate here after only having the bike a few weeks... picked up a huge nail.

so i took that time to replace it with a Pilot Power.

now i went out to ride this morning and same fvcking thing!! another damn nail in the tire of my new Pilot.

Im assuming the dealership where i bought/had it installed wont do anything for me most likely huh? Do they offer one of those tire replacement deals or whatever they are? i might have to purchase one of those or something.

i might just patch this damn hole, this tire is almost brand new... id hate to spend the money on another one :(
same thing happened to me. I had to get a new rear tire on my bike after only 400 miles on the bike. Got a nail or something. Man did that suck.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Plug it. Dealer won't do it. Dealer only wants to sell you a new tire. Dealer will warn you about the dangers of riding with a plug. Does the dealer also warn you that they're going to charge you $15 for an oil filter? $3 for a screw?

As long as the puncture is in the face of the tire, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Really? You really want to have a bike that you MIGHT run to 160mph with a plug in the tire?

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I had to replace mine at 2500 miles because of a piece of metal. I plugged it to avoid it going flat, but I'd never ride on that.

[xx(]

·
Registered
343 Posts
get a road hazzard on your insurance policy.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i had a big screw go through one of my tires, it was in the center though. i just had it pluged. it was like a plug and a patch built in to one. i havent had a problem. and im not worried about it in the least. as long as it is not on the edge of the tread, or sidewall. it will be ok. second. how often are you going to be riding at 160. over 90% of the time you will be less that 100 mph. around town 50 mph or so, and on the highway at 70-90 mph. so there is not a problem. i would not patch a tire if you are going to the track. but for around town, and highway. there is not going to be an issue

·
Registered
89 Posts
$200 seems cheap compared to a tire ripping apart at 150 and then being dead.

This is MY opinion. It probably would be fine to patch/plug...probably.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my friend plugged his tire. then 50 miles later, pop.

on my extended warranty. they cover tires, so if i get a nail in them, they replace it for free. maybe next time you buy a tire, try getting a replacement plan or something? i know cycle gear does em.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i don't buy that for a second. what "pop"? Did the plug come out? Or did the tire blow up?

Tires don't blow up because of a patch or a plug. They blow up because of over inflation, under inflation, or weak spots in the sidewall. A plug is a plug. If it comes out, so be it. Then it wasn't done right. I mean, why didn't the nail blow your tire up when you ran over it? Because rubber is flexible. There's also a steel belt in there keeping all that rubber together. Going the extra mile and installing a patch is great. If not, do the plug job right and it should NEVER come out. It shouldn't give you a problem at excessive speeds either.

Right. I wouldn't race on a plugged tire either. Incase the plug comes out mid session, I don't want to be on the edge of traction while losing air pressure. But for the road, I'm not going to go drop 2-3 hundred bucks at time everytime I get a nail or a little metal shard in my tire. Eff that!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd be worried about a slow leak forming, causing an unsafe condition, OR if the belts were to be damaged (small nails ok, big screws or jagged pieces of metal, ouch) that could cause some issues too.

I'm stepping back and saying to myself "self, everything rides on that tire, including your beautiful ass, should we really have to worry about it"?

nope

People saying plug it and forget it are crazy. CHECK THAT TIRE ALL THE TIME if you plug it.

·
Powerhungry
38,426 Posts
Originally posted by tareksaleh77
i don't buy that for a second. what "pop"? Did the plug come out? Or did the tire blow up?

Tires don't blow up because of a patch or a plug. They blow up because of over inflation, under inflation, or weak spots in the sidewall. A plug is a plug. If it comes out, so be it. Then it wasn't done right. I mean, why didn't the nail blow your tire up when you ran over it? Because rubber is flexible. There's also a steel belt in there keeping all that rubber together. Going the extra mile and installing a patch is great. If not, do the plug job right and it should NEVER come out. It shouldn't give you a problem at excessive speeds either.

Right. I wouldn't race on a plugged tire either. Incase the plug comes out mid session, I don't want to be on the edge of traction while losing air pressure. But for the road, I'm not going to go drop 2-3 hundred bucks at time everytime I get a nail or a little metal shard in my tire. Eff that!
i agree, properly repaired it would be just fine. personally i say a patch is better than a plug. sometimes as the plug is being installed, u can do more damage to the tire than the original nail, or whatever...
the key word is PROPERLY. if you dont know what u are doing dont try it. have it done by someone that knows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my .02 i own a shop porsche bmw etc i plug tires and i've done it on my bike. once you've got a hole anywhere speed rating is void, that being said a properly installed patch or plug should last the life of the tire. they have on my car and some 140 mph blasts tire is not gonna shred from a plug or patch that only happens from cat. failure bike is the same-however i only plugged the bike until i got a new tire although my friend ran his the life of the tire, to me feel safer on the bike with a good skin
BTW-who uses nitrogen in their tires-i do

·
Registered
377 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I got a nail, had it patched, and it worked fine, then about a month later another nail. This one was bigger though, and the tire wouldnt hold air at all, as soon as I put air into it I could hear it hissing out. So I went ahead and bought another tire. Most shops don't offer road warranties for tires, and they always use the excuse that it's too dangerous to patch it. Which I think is rediculous and just another way to sell another overpriced tire. The tires are steel belted just like car tires. Worst case scenario it starts leaking air again. It's not going to explode as long as the hole is not on the sidewall. I am going to look into that insurance thing though, hadnt thought about that, maybe that is the key. I also bought a pit bull stand and just took the tire off myself and had them change the tire which cost me 15 bucks versus the 75 they wanted to do it all. Actually I think once I paid the 15 bucks they charged me for the last patch and to put on the tire, I could have almost bought another tire. I found a place on the net that sent me a new Pilot Power to my door for 135. Around here you wont get one for under 195 in the shops.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
you guys can say path it, it will be okay etc etc. thats fine...

but dont call bullshit and say how stupid it is that someone suggests getting a new tire.
when it comes to a motorcycle, i wouldnt spare any expensive if its for safety.

same thing happened to my brother. i bought him a rear d208 and after 100 miles got a big screw in it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got a staple in mine, plugged it...1000 miles on it so far, so problems what so ever.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dropped the bike off today for a new tire, same as i had in the rear before.. Pilot Power. $170 installed out the door.... sigh. 2 months on the other new fvcking Pilot Power and now i have to replace it again!

how much of a diff does it make riding around with 2 diff type tires up front/back? i still have stock up front and the Power in the back. I really dont wanna shell out more money right now for a matching one for up front.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
im not calling bullshit to buying a new tire. but it is just not necessary. if i had the extra money just laying around, i would probely just buy a new one, but i dont. and there is no harm in a patch. it will work just fine. if it was dangerous. there would be a law statin that for safty reasons, you can not patch tires. if the patch is in the center of the tread, it is fine, but within an inch to an inch and a half of the edge of the tread and down the side wall, i will not patch. if it is a huge hole, i will not patch, if it is a cut i will not patch, but 80% of the stuff can be fixed. a simple nail, screw. there is no safty. i ride on my tires just as much as every one else. i run the same risk as everyone else. my career depends on me being able to use all my limbs, and if i thought that for one minute, that riding on a patch endangered me. i would have nothing to do with it. if it esaes your mind to go spend that much money on a new tire every time somthing happens then go do it. but i am not going to lose any sleep over a patch. and ya i might not trust a tire to do 160 mph on a patch. but honestly, when are you going to be going that fast. but if you are that worried about it, either have it patched and put it in the corner of your garage as a spare in a pinch or ebay the tire if it has enough tread left on it and take good pics of the hail, and hole. you can mabe get part of your money back out of it that way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its illegal here in FL for shops to patch/plug bike tires.... so i duno.

i feel better with a new tire so i didnt bother fixing the other one. Im going to keep it just as a spare tho for who knows what reason.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That whole illegal thing sounds like a line to me. I had two flat tires in two days. Plugged and patched the first time (thank god!), replaced the second. My shop is happy to plug, but they also patch (costs about 50 bucks). I have done 7000 miles on the patch/plug without any problems. Near the end I did not like how the plug was wearing, but never had a single issue with it. But the fact is, of course it is safer to replace the tire completely. Its just a question of how much free cash you have (and with my toy collection it is never much). Truth is, I think I would sooner patch a tire that ride on two different sets of rubber. For some reason I feel like the front and rear rubber should match. Eh...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.