Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1998 G1 ZX6R that is my dedicated track bike.
I have replaced the 6 pots with the 4 pot Nissin callipers (from a Suzuki RF900) with new SS brake pads. (its got fresh fluid, callipers rebuilt with fresh seals from all balls racing, Adelin 19*20 MC, braded hoses)

How much is an acceptable amount of break pad rub/binding? I can turn the wheel by hand but if l give it a good spin it will only do 1 - 1.5 revs before stopping
All the pistons move freely, when the front is raised and the callipers removed the wheel spins freely.
when l replace the wheel (putting wets on/off) the brake calliper bolts are the last that l tighten and torque up. the axle and pinch bolts are all torqued first.

is there a difference in brake pad shapes that could cause a rub?
As a track bike, its cleaned after each track day (only for something to do and make sure everything is in good condition for the next TD) - there will be 4 weeks between the next TD - Is it worth running the callipers without dust seals and giving each piston a good clean after each TD. Aim of this would reduce pull back friction??? I have a HEL 19*20 MC to fit so wounder if its the return on the MC that's not withdrawing the pistons enough?

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
I had a similar issue.....the physical caliper lightly touches the rotor.....i had to shim the caliper with a washer and all was good after that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts