Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, (question coming after the intro)

So in a couple of weeks I will be off on my first road tour, I'm in the UK, but will be hopping across to Holland, meeting some Dutch Friends, then over to Germany to meet some German friends for a few days touring the Mountains before heading back.

Anyway - It was also my Birthday recently, so I got myself some Bike stuff (of course, what else), including a Garmin Zumo 345LM, which is really neat (even if expensive). Took it on a ride around the Peak District Yesterday and the Motorcycle routing worked a treat, taking me away from the A Roads I already know and onto some far more interesting bends and hills.

Question - Today I wired the charging loop, I put it direct to the Battery with the fuse and transformer under the seat, then the cabling under the tank with the bikes other cabling and up-to the handlebar mount. There is a little transformer in the wiring loop, now I'm not leaving the Zumo in the cradle when I'm not there (Because if I'm not riding it why would I need the GPS on it), but I suppose even without it in the cradle, the transformer is connected, does anyone have the same set-up and no problems with Battery draining, or does anyone know what effect the transformer with nothing pulling power from it will have on the battery?

Thanks for anyone that can re-assure me, or tell me for definite that it can't stay like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just fitted the same Garmin to my Tiger 800xc. I'm having the exact same problem. Read on another discussion to wire it to a connection that is only live with the ignition on. It's the small transformer, converting the 12v to 5v that's drawing power from the battery all the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts