Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a problem with my gas cap lock not working. I put the key in and it wont unlock. I really just want to get rid of the damn thing and get a twist off one. I am so sick of it! Its an 05 ninja 500. Anyone know where I can get an aftermarket one? and does it need to unlock to remove the stock lock? Cause i'll put a drill hole through the bastard if I need to.

Thanks

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,499 Posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my gas cap lock not working. I put the key in and it wont unlock. I really just want to get rid of the damn thing and get a twist off one. I am so sick of it! Its an 05 ninja 500. Anyone know where I can get an aftermarket one? and does it need to unlock to remove the stock lock? Cause i'll put a drill hole through the bastard if I need to.

Thanks

Maybe try spraying some WD 40 in the key slot and see if you can work it open? You're positive it's the right key? I'm just asking. :D

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
you need to open the gas lid to replace it. why doesn't it open? is the locking mechanism stuck? try using graphite powder in the lock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it used to work. i had back surgery recovered for 2 months. drove to a gas station and it will not turn. What exactly is graphite? And anyone know where I can buy a gas cap without a lock online?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,499 Posts
also it doesnt open cause it looks completely corroded. i dont think wd 40 will help

Try it...or PB Blaster....that's what it's for to break loose stuff that is corroded. Spray some in the slot and on the key, you may have to let it sit for a while or even over night but then spray some more and wiggle the key and see if it comes loose. Don't go ape shit but wiggle and try to work it free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try it...or PB Blaster....that's what it's for to break loose stuff that is corroded. Spray some in the slot and on the key, you may have to let it sit for a while or even over night but then spray some more and wiggle the key and see if it comes loose. Don't go ape shit but wiggle and try to work it free.
choked on my beer laughing!! hahaha. It makes me so frustrated! I will try some wd40 and let it sit. But I still want to get rid of it. Any idea on a good site to get a new one? (without a lock)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ill admit it. it worked. now that that problem is taken care of... where can i order a new one? lol

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
ronayers.com cheapcycleparts.com denniskirk.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts