Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on my brother's 98 GSXR600 the gas cap lock is jammed. you can't put gas in it. it just won't open or turn or anything. Lube and penetrant don't seem to work, so now we're stuck. How do you even take that whole thing out and put a new one in? Does he just need to buy a new tank? Well, he's selling it, so he doesn't want to put a lot of money into it. what would he be better off doing, just using it as a stunt bike or maybe selling it real cheap? any suggestions? heres a pic of it

/forum/uploads/NinjaRider/bikes005.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Will the key turn? If it will there is something screwed up with the latching mechanism. If not the problem is with the plug or pins/wafers in the lock. Either way you could probably drill the plug but that is a job better off left to a locksmith. Try taking a thin piece of metal (Large Bobby Pin etc) and just rake it over the pins on the top and bottom of the ward (Hole where key goes) Sometimes a pin will get pushed down and stick too far down for the plug to rotate once the key is totally inserted. If that doesn't work call a locksmith probably cost 50 bucks or better for them to pick it.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Ninja Rider,

A few things.

One, your '02 6r is not firecracker red, it's passion red. So better fix your profile. ;) The '01 Ninja 250's came in firecracker red, which is darker than the passion red.

Also, as far as the stuck lock, maybe some compressed air shot down into the lock might help jimmy something free, I don't know. You already tried lubing it, that would have been my first thought.

Your buddy should call the Suzuki dealer and ask them.

Also, does your buddy have two keys? Try the other key. Maybe the first key is bent or something.

Good luck.

-Flash

I'd call a locksmith before I tried drilling into the tank.

-Flash

·
Registered
690 Posts
This might sound stupid but try pushing down on it while you try to turn the key. The locking mechanism might have gotten wedged.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flash......point taken;)

and yup, we've tried pushin it; the one key became a pretzel when we tried to turn it. the lock doesn't even move. cant turn the key or anything.so i guess we'll have to call the locksmith today. hope this doenst cost too much[xx(]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, because it is locked to the bike. if it wasn't locked, then by removing the bolts the entire cap would come off. but the slide bar thats in there is holding it to the tank.[xx(]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as luck would have it, the locksmith called today and said he'd be there in 15 minutes. we went to take the bike out of the shed, and my brother decided to try the key one last time before the guy got there. and what the hell, the bastard opened?!!?! just like that! as if there never had been any problems! thank god we didn't have to pay the locksmith, or even worse, buy a new tank. weird isn't it?

·
Registered
690 Posts
he might have been using your spare key on accident

anyway now he has some making up to do...ride all night:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.