Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Just bought a 2004 Ninja 250. When I was going to siphon the old gas from the tank I slid the key in and turned it to the right as it says in the instructions. However it only turns a little to the right. I already broke the first key trying to get it opened. I took out the allen key bolts around the cap but it wont budge out. It looks like it's coming loose but I dont want to apply too much pressure and break something. PLEASE HELP!:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Spray some graphite powder in the lock, hit it with a blast from an airhose, work the key back and forth while slightly depressing the cap. repeat as necessary. Don't fprce it, and DO NOT use silicone, if it gets in the fuel it can stop up your injectors as its VERY hard to atomize silicone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spray some graphite powder in the lock, hit it with a blast from an airhose, work the key back and forth while slightly depressing the cap. repeat as necessary. Don't fprce it, and DO NOT use silicone, if it gets in the fuel it can stop up your injectors as its VERY hard to atomize silicone.
Any idea why the whole cap won't pull out? Is there something holding it within the tank? All I did was remove the allen bolts on top but the cap won't come off.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
It's still locked to the tank with the bolts undone. It has two tabs that lock inside the tank. Not to the ring. It wouldn't be any use putting a lock on it otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Any idea why the whole cap won't pull out? Is there something holding it within the tank? All I did was remove the allen bolts on top but the cap won't come off.
Yeah, the locking tabs engage the tank, not the ring. Like I said, You want to put the bolts back and get the lock loosened up. The graphite powder and a little (LITTLE) assistance from an air nozzle and working the key back and forth gently, more graphite, more air, more working, slow and steady should do the trick.

Good luck!
Van

Also, once you get it open, I would then remove the bolts again and take the whole cap off, remove the lock and clean it all up. I found a lot of white corrosion in mine I had to clean off and out. Then lube it all up with some good white lithium grease on the lock tabs and some graphite inside the lock its self.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts