Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question, but do you guys stand the bike up when filling it or leave it on the side stand? My 250 I'd usually straddle the seat and fill it to just below the filler neck. Never saw it over flow out the vent. This one, I have been filling on the side stand to the bottom of the filler neck. It just seems like there is a lot of capacity left in the tank this way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a good idea to be on your bike while putting gas in it. Yes, there will be some capacity left, but me thinks safety trumps capacity. ninjamon

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not a good idea to be on your bike while putting gas in it. Yes, there will be some capacity left, but me thinks safety trumps capacity. ninjamon
That.

You'd be surprised, but there's usually maybe only a few ounces capacity difference between straight up and over on the stand.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why? I stay on my bike most of the time unless I have to futz around looking for my wallet or something or stop too close/far from the pump and have difficulty maneuvering. I guess if it suddenly blows up I'm more screwed if I'm sitting on it but as long as I discharge myself on something metal first and touch the ground I think I'll be ok.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Why? I stay on my bike most of the time unless I have to futz around looking for my wallet or something or stop too close/far from the pump and have difficulty maneuvering. I guess if it suddenly blows up I'm more screwed if I'm sitting on it but as long as I discharge myself on something metal first and touch the ground I think I'll be ok.
Just a few thoughts on that from my experiences:

stuck fuel nozzle
unintentional overfill
car pulling into the pump that doesn't see your bike parked close to the pump
dropping something
poor traction for your feet
trash thrown from another car
large grease/oil spot near the pump

Ride long enough and you'll encounter those and more. IMHO it's safest to get off of the bike while fueling.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just a few thoughts on that from my experiences:

stuck fuel nozzle
unintentional overfill
car pulling into the pump that doesn't see your bike parked close to the pump
dropping something
poor traction for your feet
trash thrown from another car
large grease/oil spot near the pump

Ride long enough and you'll encounter those and more. IMHO it's safest to get off of the bike while fueling.
Oh I put the kickstand down and lean the bike and just stay on the bike so most of those (which are risks of falling over while filling) don't apply. I guess overfill, stuck nozzle, or a car hitting me are good reasons though.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Plus it's not like youre constantly going to the pump anyways. I fill up about once every 2 weeks, and I use my bike to commute everyday.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What? most of the time this is how you fill a bike...

i fill with the bike upright and me on it

·
Registered
13 Posts
unL33T wrote: I guess overfill, stuck nozzle, or a car hitting me are good reasons though.

My career was in safety and environmental protection in industry, so I always tend to err on the side of safety. From a practical standpoint, why take risk for a measily few ounces of extra fuel. Like one poster said, it's not like you're filling up that often anyway. ninjamon

·
Registered
467 Posts
Plus it's not like youre constantly going to the pump anyways. I fill up about once every 2 weeks, and I use my bike to commute everyday.
AWHAT!?! wow i fill up weekly.. but i almos always take it to redline in first and then depending on how many cops are around... i might take it to redline in 3rd. i know i know, i ride like a retard and it's the street, not the track.. but i don't do this type of riding in traffic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally Posted by ShamRock229

??? What are you riding, a moped? When it's nice enough to ride everyday (commuting) I fill up every other, 3 tops (4.9 gal tank). Of course, I haven't used 5th or 6th since the break-in miles.
I always carry my rear stand on my shoulders for fill ups, to get that last 2oz in there. totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by ShamRock229

??? What are you riding, a moped? When it's nice enough to ride everyday (commuting) I fill up every other, 3 tops (4.9 gal tank). Of course, I haven't used 5th or 6th since the break-in miles.
I always carry my rear stand on my shoulders for fill ups, to get that last 2oz in there. totally worth it.
Yes, you caught me...I have the 650r Vespa version haha nah, but my commuting is to and from campus or work (90%). I live smackdab in the middle of my city so from my house to the university is about 8 miles roundtrip and from my house to work is about 11 or 12 round trip. Also, most days that I work are also days that I have class so its consolidated for even less. You also have to consider that I'm still in the break in period on my bike so I'm not strangling the throttle (although I wish I could, it seems like im in 6th gear after about 7 seconds starting from a redlight). So yeah, I really only fill up about once every 2 weeks.

ps that was really funny about carrying the rear stand to fill up lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your fuel also expands, and pretty sure needs that extra little space. So when you do fill her all the way up, you might be just wasting gas by having it come out of the overfill tube after it gets hot enough and expands.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, you caught me...I have the 650r Vespa version haha nah, but my commuting is to and from campus or work (90%). I live smackdab in the middle of my city so from my house to the university is about 8 miles roundtrip and from my house to work is about 11 or 12 round trip. Also, most days that I work are also days that I have class so its consolidated for even less. You also have to consider that I'm still in the break in period on my bike so I'm not strangling the throttle (although I wish I could, it seems like im in 6th gear after about 7 seconds starting from a redlight). So yeah, I really only fill up about once every 2 weeks.

ps that was really funny about carrying the rear stand to fill up lol
i always keep my bike in between 4-6k RPMs(pretty tamed rider) and the best mileage i get is ~39 MPG which means filling up every 3 days so every little bit i can get in there counts.

PS. what is the MPG average on your bike, it sounds that you are mostly doing in town small trips which is the worst for mileage and yet you are going on 2 weeks refills either you don't ride everyday or you have a the king of efficient engine on your 650R

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/pepitonet/ninja-650r

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i always keep my bike in between 4-6k RPMs(pretty tamed rider) and the best mileage i get is ~39 MPG which means filling up every 3 days so every little bit i can get in there counts.

PS. what is the MPG average on your bike, it sounds that you are mostly doing in town small trips which is the worst for mileage and yet you are going on 2 weeks refills either you don't ride everyday or you have a the king of efficient engine on your 650R

The Ninja (Kawasaki Ninja 650R) | Fuelly

The next to last time I filled up, it was about 3.3 gallons (the fuel indicator had been flashing constant even on level ground and I wasnt sure how much fuel was left, had I known that there was still a good bit of fuel in there, i probably would have waited a little longer) and I reset the odometer. The last time i filled up it was for 3.4 gallons and the odometer was was on 151.7...so thats roughly 44ish. The only day I do not ride is on sunday (usually) or if its raining anything above a light shower. And yes, most of my riding is in the city (keep in mind that i live in south georgia and not LA or NY lol), a lot of stop and goes and cruising speeds anywhere from 35-50mph. The majority of the time I am in 6th gear. Despite me riding to work and school, I probably ride for about 12-18 miles a day (depending on my schedule). Also, to clarify, it's not like I fill up every 2 full weeks. I might fill up on a monday one week and then have to refuel the thursday of the following week. I dont do anything to especially increase my mpg, and I have no reason to inflate or distort the actual amount that I'm getting. It's not like my masculinity is determined by the size of my mpg lol. To be honest, i thought that was around what most people were getting? I have no performance mods on my 650r at all, its bone stock except for some cosmetic accessories.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your fuel also expands, and pretty sure needs that extra little space. So when you do fill her all the way up, you might be just wasting gas by having it come out of the overfill tube after it gets hot enough and expands.
if you fill per kawasaki procedures... Standing Straight up and full to bottom of neck, this will never happen.

·
Registered
705 Posts
if you fill per kawasaki procedures... Standing Straight up and full to bottom of neck, this will never happen.
I'm looking at the owner's manual for a 2008 250 and a 2009 ZX6R. Kawi procedure says NOTHING about being on or off the bike or straight up or over on the stand, only .."Never fill the the tank so the fuel level rises into the filler neck. If the tank is overfilled, heat may cause the fuel to expand and overflow through the vents in the tank cap." which would vent the fuel through the overflow hose and deposit it under the bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts