Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible or cost efficient to add a gas guage to a 2001 600ZXR Ninja. I had a CBR before and it had a gas guage and I found it very helpfull.

I was being stupid in a Provincial park close to my house and sort of got lost on the back roads and costed into a gas station on fumes. All the roads looked the same once it got dark.

N

·
0 Posts
why not just do what everyone else does w/o a gas gauge...

use the trip odometer and keep track of the miles until the gas light comes on

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
why not just do what everyone else does w/o a gas gauge...

use the trip odometer and keep track of the miles until the gas light comes on
:plusone:

Honeslty, using the trip meter and the gas light is about 100x more accurate than any motorcycle gas gauge in the first place.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My gas gauge sucks... hell i use the trip meter instead. Its more of an "on/off" gauge. Its full for the first 40 miles, then falls to near E for the rest of the tank. Useless IMHO.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My gas guage is so bad I have to open the tank and light a match to see if there is any gas left.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
it's been years since i've run out of gas, but i had to use the old "cross your fingers and pray to god" method tonight on the honda. that thing is the hummer h1 of motorcycles. worst mileage ever.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gas light? You guys are spoiled! There are only 3 ways to know when my tank is getting low...in order of occurance:

1. ODO/TRIP is past 150mi
2. Front wheel rapidly points skyward under heavy acceleration.
3. Engine stumbles and loss of power, usually happens right in the middle of rush hour to boot. :) This is when you start praying that you didn't leave it on reserve the last time you filled up.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Gas gauge, don't need a stinking gas gauge. What you need and already have is called a reserve. Run out of gas just switch it over to reserve and get some more gas, don't forget to put it back to "on" once you get more gas. The fuel injecteds have the low fuel light instead.

Tripometer and checking the tank are alternatives also.

My gas guage is so bad I have to open the tank and light a match to see if there is any gas left.
And blow the tank all to hell, guess you gauge the level by the size of the explosion--large explosion=low fuel, small explosion=good amount of fuel ....not that it matters afterwards anyway :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for info, I have been using the trip gauage but except for that one time I always fill up after riding so have never seen the fuel lite or had to use reserve except for that one trip.

I guess next time I will watch my fuel alittle more carefully sighhhhhhh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts