Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is a 1993 zx6D. The gas looks like its coming from where the carb meets the head. The fuel tap on the tank has a button you can push in but its loaded by a spring so I guess when you push that in the gas won't come out. Now is gas supposed to always come out of the tap when the button isn't pushed in? Could the leak be from the tap being broken?

·
Registered
374 Posts
sounds like one of the floats in your carbs is stuck allowing fuel to flow from the tank thru the carbs into the engine. you should be able to turn off the gas at the tank, either petcock to off position or a manual valve under the tank near the fuel line out of the tank. You may need to have your carbs rebuilt to correct the sticking/leaking floats. You also want to make sure fuel has not deluted your oil in the crankcase, if so drain and replace your oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shop my bike was just at rebuilt the carbs and put a jet kit in. The thing is after I got my bike back from the shop everything seems to be messed up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the same bike, and it is a weird set up. The button like thing I always thought was to be used when you had turned off the fuel. By pushing in the button you would allow the fuel to flow, filling the lines and enabling the vaccuum to take over sucking gas to the carbs. (So in other words, pushing allows fuel to flow. When not pushed, either vaccuum draws fuel or fuel doesnt flow).

I also had the carbs issue, it was a stuck float. The difference was that I had them rebuild it afterwards, which stopped the leak. You had them work on it before, and it seems they started the leak.

I would not touch anything, bring the bike back and make them fix it. To be on the safe side, you might want to try and talk to somebody at Kawi corporate or elsewhere to determine the "official" policy on how Kawi service should resolve the situation. Then when you go to the local shop (who wont want to fix it) you can quote a name and the "rules" regarding the situation.

Short of that, let us know and we can see if we can find some peeps here in MD that can help get them fixed. (Please note, I am happy to help, but really not qualified). I do know a good mechanic in Bmore that I trust, but he is not free, eh.)

Best of luck dude, its a great bike, I loved mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.