Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles to the tank is the zx6r REALLY supposed to get? I ride almost all in the city (and like to keep it around 8-10k rpm) and have to spend appx. 5 min to warm the bike when cold HOWEVER I am only getting about 80-85 miles before needing the reserve. When I got to fill the tank, it will only take 2.75 gallons of fuel. I thought the tank was 4.8 gallons. I KNOW the reserve is not 2 gallons, so what gives? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
322 Posts
What year is your bike?
When mine was new I was hitting reserve at 100 miles city/hwy.
Now I'm about 150 before I hit reserve.
If your able to do it, run the main empty then see how long you can go on reserve.
The way the main/reserve thing works is that there are two fuel pickups at the tap (on/off/reserve knob). One is long, the main, and one is short, the reserve. It's possible that the main pickup wasn't assembled properly, or may be partially plugged up.
If you can run on you reserve for a long time, 50+ miles or so, I'd suggest, pulling your tank and removing the tap and inspecting/cleaning it. If you can't run on your reserve for long, start looking for a leak. Maybe a stuck float in a carb or something that's allowing the fuel to dump.
You might be able to test this by turning off your fuel whenever your not riding. If your mileage goes up dramatically, then you know there's a leak somewhere.
Let us know what you find out.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.