Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '95-'97 ZX-6R had a problem with the tank vent. On the left side are two tubes behind the stator cover and in front of the gear shift. One of them has a plastic catch can on it and attaches to the airbox. The other is the tank vent and attaches to the bottom of the fuel tank. Inside the tank is a metal tube that run up to near the bottom of the fuel cap. Anyway, that metal tube develops a crack by vibrating near the bottom of the tank and fuel leaks into the vent tube and leaks out on the ground.

Make sure that is what is happening on yours. If it is I can show you how to fix it cheap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK, well i filled the tank full tonight, took the bike out for a ride. Noticed that i started losing traction after every blip of the throttle, looked at the ground from the mirror and saw liquid. Anyways its the gas, my question is maybe did i put the wrong tubes onto the wrong things when i put my gas tank on or is this normal? thanks a lot! its a 95' btw

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a '95 that had the problem. Judging by the discolored decal on the tank it may have been going on for a while with previous owners.

Anyway, you can fix it by coating the inside of that tube with some of the 5-minute epoxy that you can get a Walmart, the kind the comes in the double syringe. Take the tank off and dump the gas out. Turn the tank upside-down on something soft. Get a .22 caliber bore brush and clean out the inside of the vent tube good so you will get a good seal. Push a Q-tip down the tube that has the cotton removed from one end and far as it will go with enough sticking out that you can get a hold on it to remove it later. Mix some of the epoxy and pour/place it in the tube. After it is about half full pull the Q-tip out and it will leave a coating on the inside of the vent tube. Let is sit overnight to cure.

I did this to mine about a year ago and it is holding.

You can also use a product called Kreem available at motorcycle shops that will coat the inside of the tank and also stop the leak.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Alright, I will b/c this is getting just plain stupid, I put 3 dollars of gas in it, pull out on the highway here, give it about half throttle in first with almost BRAND new ties ( just past break in ) on a dry hot road after riding for like 30 min and i get into a skid then a pretty bad tank slapper :((!), so i was like this is horrible. Thanks and I will do what you say and post my results, i already have the expoxy, it does wonders with the plastics [|)]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it first happened to me I was leaking out a lot of fuel over night so I desided to put a plug in the vent tube when it was in the garage. Fuel then would perk out the tank vent in the fuel cap and leak only down the left side of the tank because it was on the side stand. This discolored the decal only on the left side of the tank.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hrmmm that makes sense, if only i could reroute the tube back into the tank or into the carbs..... [8)] b/c all this epoxy makes me nervous ive worked with it before and it doesnt have too high of elascisty however you spell that

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have developed a similar problem to this. I have a 2001 and there are 3 hoses coming from the rear of the tank just below the seat. Two of them have colored dots the far left one is blank. If I move the bike around alot or ride it hard there is a small drip coming from the tube on the far left which I have routed to just above the exhaust. I have removed all of the emissions stuff and I assume that this hose used to go somewhere where it was filtered? Anyone got a fix?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the thing i hate is when my bike overhaets and it pours coolant onto my tire...or just in front of it
does the 03 have a recovery tank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.