Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else on here feel that gas prices have cut back on there riding time this current spring-summer? I myself used to ride everyday for fun and even to work but ever since gas started to go up back in the Spring I have not put nearly as many miles on my bike. I just have cut back in general to riding it mostly on the weekends with a few friends. Gas prices over on this side of the US have started to drop down to $4 a gallon for premium but its still far from years ago where we paid $7-10 at most to fill a tank and go riding.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'll take the 15 bucks it cost to fill my tank, over the 80 it takes to fill my truck.

Besides 93 gas just dropped below 4 dollars in my area, regular gas is 3.75 a gallon

edit: yeah my truck is a 20 gallon tank I get anywhere from 15-19 miles a gallon, on my ride home from school (230 miles) I cringe at the site of my gas meter dropping

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I drive a pretty efficient car which gets 30+mpg and $50 to fill with 400miles at least between fill ups so the whole bike vs car mpg thing doesn't work for me since I swear I get just as much mileage on my bike as in my car. I can see though where alot of truck-suv owners use the logic behind the bike being more better fuel efficient

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've always been a fan of fuel efficient cars and laughed at the penis envy crowd (H1 nebody?) Now the joke is truly on them and both my car and bike gets decent mpg, I love them both. Bike especially. What used to look as a socially irresponsible decision is now being viewed as a form of autistic genius to many. I ride more now than ever. When deciding whether to take the car or bike to the track, it's WAY cheaper to take the bike (given I don't lay it down). I avg 50mpg on my 636, btw.

Bike sales are up where almost every auto manufacturer is at a loss, msf classes are backed up. I wonder how those dj's that would say "Hit a biker if you feel like it" or the like are feeling about those words?

Tides are turning for sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
50 mpg? damn man i push low 30s with my bike

I dont know what I do that I can't high 30s low 40s in mpg.

I ride around town mainly to class and joy rides, I dont 'push' the bike and have only brought it up above 10k 3-4 times since I've gotten it.

I would kill for 40mpg :Hmmmm:

·
Registered
429 Posts
50 mpg? damn man i push low 30s with my bike

I dont know what I do that I can't high 30s low 40s in mpg.

I ride around town mainly to class and joy rides, I dont 'push' the bike and have only brought it up above 10k 3-4 times since I've gotten it.

I would kill for 40mpg :Hmmmm:
Get better gas. I personally stay away from stations that are adding ethanol to the gas and I'm only using gas without it and my mileage is usually 35 -> 45 mpg with spirited riding (redline at times).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Get better gas. I personally stay away from stations that are adding ethanol to the gas and I'm only using gas without it and my mileage is usually 35 -> 45 mpg with spirited riding (redline at times).
I use shell v-power in the bike. Its the only gas in town that is above 90, as I stay away from the 89-87 gas, even though the prices are tempting.

what would 'better gas' be I've read threads before where guys mention shell being a better brand but I am a noob to all of it. I just ride and enjoy, I'm slowly learning more and more

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No not really...I only have so little km this season because it's been fucking raining none stop!

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I ride more because of the gas prices being higher....costs more to drive the Jeep then ride the bike.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In Australia, Shell optimax is sposed to be very bad for bikes. Something about it being too dense, because of the additives or something.

I always use Caltex Vortex 98 in my baby. Runs like a dream.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use shell v-power in the bike. Its the only gas in town that is above 90, as I stay away from the 89-87 gas, even though the prices are tempting.

what would 'better gas' be I've read threads before where guys mention shell being a better brand but I am a noob to all of it. I just ride and enjoy, I'm slowly learning more and more
Here in Canada I use Petro Canada 91 oct. and Shell V-Power, both of which I get best mileage from. I then tried Sunoco 94 garbage and my mileage dropped. I also noticed the same in my car too.

So basically I only use Petro Canada 91 oct. and Shell V-Power on my bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
so we can assume that gas type isn't affecting my mileage.

and I've searched the forum for ideas but get nothing from it, to prevent a thread jack

I'll start another hoping I dont get flamed :fingersex:

·
Registered
261 Posts
i put in whatevers cheapest and im getting 50-55 avg. my DD is a lifted jeep wrangler on 35" mud tires that gets about 8mpg. needless to say i ride basically everywhere now.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Gas

Here in Canada I use Petro Canada 91 oct. and Shell V-Power, both of which I get best mileage from. I then tried Sunoco 94 garbage and my mileage dropped. I also noticed the same in my car too.

So basically I only use Petro Canada 91 oct. and Shell V-Power on my bike.
+1.
The Shell V Power is great because no ethanol at all in it. And I like the Petro Can 91 because it supposedly has an additive that cleans.

I alternate between the two and my Kawi purrs like a pussycat!!:D

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
I ride daily...but I have cut out the weekend group rides this summer...that $25 a week is buying my groceries this summer

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Gas prices = More riding for me. My Mustang is fun to drive but the gas milage sucks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yea gas prices = less riding and much less driving for me. With everything costing more I don't have money to waste on tons of pleasure rides so I've had to cut back but I still ride alot more than I drive.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
90% of my rides are joy rides, and i havent really cut back at all. ive been more concerned about getting better mileage out of my car. i used to do like 70-75 on the highway now i do like 60-65, and when i know im gonna be early ill set the cruise on 55

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.