Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did my first drags yesterday with my zx6r 07 , i use to on a R6 . my problem is if i revved the bike to 15000 or over i could not get it to change gears with out the clutch unless i let the throttle back off completely then the revs drop down too much. so i ended up short shifting to get it to go into gear which looses a lot of time and i do not get to make use of all the power i have modded into the bike

does anyhone have the same problem or solutions. my r6 i just had to back off the throttle slightly then it went into gear . i think it is not comin out of gear more than not goin into the next gear.

maybe i need a quick shifter , but it is alot of money so need to know fo rsure if that would work

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i did my first drags yesterday with my zx6r 07 , i use to on a R6 . my problem is if i revved the bike to 15000 or over i could not get it to change gears with out the clutch unless i let the throttle back off completely then the revs drop down too much. so i ended up short shifting to get it to go into gear which looses a lot of time and i do not get to make use of all the power i have modded into the bike

does anyhone have the same problem or solutions. my r6 i just had to back off the throttle slightly then it went into gear . i think it is not comin out of gear more than not goin into the next gear.

maybe i need a quick shifter , but it is alot of money so need to know fo rsure if that would work
Put a little bit of pressure on the shifter then very slightly back off the throttle and it should pop right into the next gear.

You do not need to be rough with the shifter or let off the gas too much - the rpms will barely change and it will be a smooth transition, and if you let off the gas too much besides the rpms dropping it jerks like hell into the next gear.

Sounds like you just need to get more used to the butter-smooth 07/08 tranny - you have to be gentle with it and not try to force it or manhandle it like on a dirt bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks will try the advice, dont think i was been too rough but will definitely try be as smooth as possible

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
thanks will try the advice, dont think i was been too rough but will definitely try be as smooth as possible
Yea its just a suggestion but I found it to work with me. My 07 was only my second street bike(after an 02 6r) and I came from years and years of dirt bikes so initially my clutchless shifts were a bit clunky and it would sometimes not shift in the higher rpms sometimes just like you are describing. I found that I was just being too rough with the shifter and was letting off the throttle too much from being used to beating the crap out of dirt bikes for 10 years :eek:.

After a bit more time on the bike I realized that when you are a lot more gentle, even at high rpms, the transmission seems to upshift just by thought :Laughing rolling:.

It really is an amazing tranny!

·
Registered
92 Posts
ya i agree, just be gentle, the only problem i have every once in awhile with clutchless 1st to 2nd gear changes is it will pop out of 2nd into neutral at WOT, scared me the first time

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
I have gear issues going into 1st from 2nd gear, even at 5k rpm, when i change into 1st it goes to neutral sometimes, and i dont shift lightly..

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I have gear issues going into 1st from 2nd gear, even at 5k rpm, when i change into 1st it goes to neutral sometimes, and i dont shift lightly..
Adjust your shift lever so it sits a little lower.

Then make sure your clutch lever is correctly adjusted - 2-3mm of free play before the cable stats to disengage the clutch.

That should resolve your shifting issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts