Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Nice to see such a great Kawasaki Forum. :D
I recently purchased a ZX636B 2004 (Did a trade-in on my EX500) and completed the run-in phase (more or less) and I had a question about what RPM position to set the gear change indicator LED. I ask this because I have seen in all the Dyno tests that after around 13,500RPM the power of this model bike falls. (didn't dyno my own bike yet, I plan to do that soon).

So bottom line, should I set the indicator to light up at 13,000 for example for optimum performance? If the bike doesn't have power above 13,500 then why does the RPM continue to climb? is it a Kawasaki "cheat"? [V]

Cheers,
-David

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think if I remember correctly a stock bike power curve drops off at 12,000 or 12,5000. If you add a new pipe on or if you put a power commander on than it might be slitly higher. OR if you have the RR version.
I cant remember what I set my too, BUt I think it was 13,000-13,500?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The power does drop off a bit above a certain point. But, the extra over-rev can be useful on straights so you don't have to upshift into a higher gear and then shift right back down for a curve. You just stretch the gear you're in out a little. Set the light where you are fastest (Some people shift better at different points in different gears) when you upshift the RPM's probably should not drop below 9000 in the lower gears and 10 or 11 in the upper 3. That should keep you in the meat of the powerband and out of most of the over-rev (unless you need it) 13000 sounds like a good place to start.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, I will go ahead and set the LED indicator to 13k. I have to say that LED is a nicer feature then I first thought, really does help you keep your eyes on the road and know when it is best to shift, I realize using your hearing is usually what is acceptable but that takes time to recognize down to the exact RPM you are at.
Cheers,
-David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.