Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 636 with 2500km. I bought it as an ex-demonstrator with 1600km on the clock. I have had problems over the last little while with the thing jumping out of gear as you are going along, and occasionally not able to find neutral. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

The other question I have is that the engine seems quite rattly in 3rd and 4th, sounds alot to me like tappet noise. Is it common for a bike with such low km on it to require the tappets to be adjusted?

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

·
Registered
778 Posts
From experience,

The ZX6R gets tighter not looser as time passes... You'll only hear tapping if your valves are loose. When I adjust mine I adjust it towards the loose side so I can go longer between adjustments. When is looser it taps. Not sure if that the same tap you're hearing. As time goes buy the tapping goes away.

That is if the tapping nosie is coming from the valves

About it popping out of gear - try adjusting the gear shift link, Loosen one side tighten the other. Get it to a position that most comfortable for your riding style. It may just be you not applying enough pressure or applying too much pressure to the shifter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
could be any of the following:
1.shift shaft- shift lever needs adjustment or stopper lever fails to move or set wrong
2.SHIFT DRUM- incorrect thrust play, damaged shift drum grooves
3. bent shift forks (happens sometimes when you race without the clutch, this one happends to my 96 zx6)
4.Transmittion- worn or damaged gear dogs, too much gear thrust play, worn or damaged shaft circlips or thrust washers.
Mostlikely is #1, then #3 then #2 then #4
Also the neutral issue you are having is quite common with kawasakis. its sometimes just hard to find it BUT with your cable adjustment of your shift lever you can make it easier to find. AND that might help with the gear issue.

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.