Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

ok so I bought this 2nd hand 2010 EX250 ninja and I notice that when I change to 3rd, 4th or 5th it doesn't sound or feel like it has actually changed gear.

Let me elaborate. There is a distinct click as if I have changed gear but when I slowly release the clutch, the engine slows the bike down (even though I just went from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th). I here and feel the clicks from the gear shifter until I am in 5th and then, as per normal, I can't change to any higher (i.e. to 6th).

So basically when I get to around 40km/hr (25MPH) it feels like I need to change gear but even after changing gear I still feel like it's still screaming (as if I need to change again).

Anyone know what the deal with that is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
When you shift up does the rpm for the speed your at during the shift drop? Are you running a faster MPH in 5th than in 1st for a given rpm? Those are the main keys to determining if in fact you are going up in the gears.

The bike, car, whatever will always slow down when you let off the throttle. That's just how it works, it'll be especially noticeable the further away you are from idle. So if you shift up at say 5,000 rpm and the rpm's drop to 3,500 if you don't get on the throttle the engine will slow to idle which would be around 1,000 rpms.

Depending on how you ride, smaller engines require alot of gear changing and if your on it and moving will be "screaming" much of the time.

So yeah if your able to get up to highway speed, and the clutch isn't slipping (engine revs up-in gear-but the bike doesn't go faster) then all is normal and just something to adapt too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I think I might give it a week or so before I get worried... after all I am new to the bike and riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts