Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed a gear or gears on their bike? If so what combination did you use and how much more power or speed did the bike pick up. I am thinking of 1 down (front) and 2 up (rear). Need some feedback on this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I did just one down in the front. It really helped with acceleration, but on the highway it would cruise at a higher RPM. Gas mileage got worse too. If you do a lot, or even a moderate amount of highway riding, I wouldn't recommend changing both sprockets. Otherwise I was happy with the change that a simple $20 sprocket brought.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
+2 in rear is a subtle difference but combined with -1 in front is awesome. Acceleration is great but makes first gear wheelies really touchy. It will throw your speedo. off alot and you will rev higher than you use to at the same speed. The best thing you get out of it is acceleration and getting wheelies up easier. Cheapest way to go is -1 in front and you can see if you like it. It only takes about 30 minutes to change front sprocket.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I went three bigger on the rear sprocket, which is about the same as 1 down on the front sprocket and it makes a fair difference. If you do it, you'll have fun.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
What I mean is my bike now accelerates faster with the standard exhaust than it did with standard gearing and a full Muzzy race system.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i went up 6T in the rear and it riped!! i only lose 10mph on the top side,but who goes 160 al the time. It was GREAT on the track i could out pull the 1000's but 1/2 way down the stright they went past me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.