Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I gear the bike down to help me with the sluggish start in 1st gear. I was told that it will slow down my top speed. I am not worried about that since I do not go 150pmh too often.

:D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
nah, its not worth it just to fix the sluggish first gear, just rev higher and put it in second.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It's very worth it here in Denver and almost a requirement. Mine felt nearly unrideable until I went 14/42. I pull 7-8K on the highway at normal speeds and it'll still go over 150.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

yeah and gearing it down alow for better power wheelies ;)
She's quite a bit lighter than me, but here, I still can't power them up even after the gear change. Ever rode an SV650 where you live? That's what a 6R is like up here, except without the low end grunt.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

Why not get a liter bike? ;)
Wanna pay for my insurance? ;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by chick4speed

Looks like I will be gearing the bike down. Should I go down 3 in the back??
You want to go either up in back or down in front. Three up in back is nearly equivalent to one down in front. The stock chain will not fit a +3t rear sprocket, but it will fit a -1t front sprocket.

If you push the search button, you will find many answers to your question.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"If you push the search button, you will find many answers to your question."

Rob lays down the smack on Nina!!!!!

hahahahahahahah

and Gary, sorry forgot about insurance costs ;)

luckily I only pay 17 bucks a month for full coverage on my 2002 zx-6r...I wonder what a liter bike would cost me?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I pay ~$400 a year for full and I just checked out an RC51. ~$850 Same for a Gixxer 750, so it's not that bad, but it's still double for me.

Just drop one in the front Nina, it's only about a 15 minute job.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You like 43 what in the REAR?
I just installed a 42 tooth in the rear and it makes a big difference in acceleration. First gear wheelies come up a little too fast but I will get used to it. Clutching second is a major difference, doesn't struggle at all. And yes, launches are better also. Haven't topped it out yet, but I did go 150 and it had more.With stock sprocket I have had it to 167. Speedometer got to be off(did not think that little feather would go that fast).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Rob lays down the smack on Nina!!!!!
Not at all.

I figured she wanted as much info as she could get on the change before making it. I know I would.

chick4speed,

If you still have questions after pushing the search button, we will be glad to answer them here.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
someone needs to lay the smack down on Nina...maybe it should be me?

ohh well I'll be good nice I'm going on vacation all next week...going on a week long bike trip....

gonna be sweet, just me and my bike...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I was thinking out loud earlier in case you happened to read my post during the last 5 hours. This is the revised version[:I]

Going from 60 to 140 I would start from 9000rpm in 2nd and be in 5th at 12500 at 140mph with stock gearing. With 14/42 I'd start at 10200rpm and be in 6th at 12400 doing the same 140mph. Would I get to 140 faster with 14/42? Yes?

Oh, found this:
"On the track, the proper gearing is the one that avoids first and sixth gear, if possible."
Rob Lee
I get that with stock gearing, though I don't use 5th on all tracks.
Also used the Actual Speed Calculator and found out that 9000rpm equates to 60ish mph in 2nd, so I guess I do go below that on the track, never seemed too powerless in 2nd though.
What is the primary ratio? crankshaft to gearbox?

"im running 6T up in the back and it rocks.the bike will still top out at 155-160,need i say more? i can take most bike off the line and on the track i'll keep up with the r1's.in the long straight they'll eat my ass but on a small i do good."
Transman
Hmm, sounds good.

Please advise. I have checked two pages of searches for gearing but did not find a definitive answer.

Do you actually accelerate faster or just feel like you do?
Accel from a standstill doesn't matter to me, only from 50mph or so onward, ie coming out of a turn, ie roadtrack use[:p].

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Shorter gearing absolutely gives quicker acceleration.

On the track, you want to avoid down shifting through neutral to low gear. If you do not use fifth gear, you may be able to get better results with shorter gearing. You want to shift to fifth gear soon after peak horsepower in fourth, which is quite shy of redline.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Thanks for answering Rob, even though I'm definately not chick4speed:D

That did it for me, I'll be going 14/42 for next spring then. If it's too much, the rear oe sprocket can go back on. Doesn't seem like it will be, based on the Actual Speed Calculator

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.