Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some helpful suggestions... What do you guys recommend for improving low end performance as far as gearing changes go? I don't race my bike and would like to still have some decent high end speed. Having never done this, I am pretty ignorant to this subject, so ALL help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went down one on the front (14) and up two (42) in the back. Just got my sprockets today as a matter of fact. I will be putting them on this weekend. Top speed will be limited to around 135, but that's still plenty fast for me :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lowered the front by a tooth, and left the back the same? 145 would definitely be enough for me. Is the performance increase that much better in the low end in your opinion?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I used to be geared one tooth down in front and two up in back, but recently went back to stock gearing. You can definitely tell a difference in low end power with the lower gearing, and as 4drss said, top speed is about 135mph. The reason I went back to stock gearing wasn't for top speed, though, it was for speeding in the twisties. Seemed like I was always looking for seventh gear on the bike.

On the brighter side, going back to stock gearing hasn't affected the bike's wheelie ability. It takes a little more finesse to get it up, but once I got used to it, it seemed like it was almost just as easy as before. I would recommend going up three teeth in the rear if you are going to change your gearing. By the way, if your sprockets are getting old or show signs of excessive wear, you should replace them as a set and also buy a new chain. If you need help with the install, let me know, I did mine a month or so ago, and haven't had any problems yet:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
i done the same a 4DRSS....i love the way its geared....my top speed is higher than his though....i have a buddy who's a cop and he clocked me at close to 160.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guys, I've got a really good gearing calculator that I can email if anyones interested. The figures (for an '03 636) are preset; all you need to do is fill in the sprocket combination.

mail me on:

[email protected]

Normski.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.