Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys i just ordered a 13t front sprocket from drivesystems.com, i have -1+2 on the bike now and feel i need to put more gear on the bike for my weight and size, on the gearing chart if i put the 13t along with the 42t i have on the back now that will make me be runnin 3:21 gearing same as runnin 14-45, low 7's is the best ive got in the 1/8, also with the new gearing what times should i be shootin for

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i see a lot of people usein -1 +3

·
Registered
343 Posts
whats up guys i just ordered a 13t front sprocket from drivesystems.com, i have -1+2 on the bike now and feel i need to put more gear on the bike for my weight and size, on the gearing chart if i put the 13t along with the 42t i have on the back now that will make me be runnin 3:21 gearing same as runnin 14-45, low 7's is the best ive got in the 1/8, also with the new gearing what times should i be shootin for
Be prepared for that sprocket to torn up because its smaller it gona have alot more stress on it It will work for awhile but the 13 tooth is not recommended you should go with the 14 45

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be prepared for that sprocket to torn up because its smaller it gona have alot more stress on it It will work for awhile but the 13 tooth is not recommended you should go with the 14 45
i went with the 13t steve to see if i will like the new gearing plus its cheaper to purchase a front sprocket vs most rears, im at the top of 3rd with -1+2, do u no what gear & rpm will i be at with -2+2

·
Registered
343 Posts
i went with the 13t steve to see if i will like the new gearing plus its cheaper to purchase a front sprocket vs most rears, im at the top of 3rd with -1+2, do u no what gear & rpm will i be at with -2+2
You should be at the top of 4th in the 8th and the top of 6th in the quarter but you might not be quite there because of your weight but thats where I was with my weight

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think a 13T front is too much stress for the chain and alot more stress on the engine and shaft. Also, with the smaller front, your moving your torque closer to the low end, I see 2 possible situations.: 1) like Steve said, torn up sprocket,chain or shaft, 2) your front wheel going straight up. I prefer the 14T front. But don't be afraid to try something new, let us know how it goes and what you notice. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a 13T front is too much stress for the chain and alot more stress on the engine and shaft. Also, with the smaller front, your moving your torque closer to the low end, I see 2 possible situations.: 1) like Steve said, torn up sprocket,chain or shaft, 2) your front wheel going straight up. I prefer the 14T front. But don't be afraid to try something new, let us know how it goes and what you notice. Good luck!
hey wally with my weight isnt that what i would want more torque in the low end to help get off the line better, really dont want to jack my shaft tho, and want the 45 along with the 14t give the same torque down low as the 13-42

·
Registered
313 Posts
hey wally with my weight isnt that what i would want more torque in the low end to help get off the line better, really dont want to jack my shaft tho, and want the 45 along with the 14t give the same torque down low as the 13-42
Thats exactly what you want to do, problem is if you put too much torque you can run into problems. 13/42 = 3.23, 14/45 = 3.21, 15/49 = 3.21 (its been a while so my math might be just a little off not much though) all these gearings give you just about the same final ratio.

15/49 = launching torque is poor for drag racing, less stress on mechanical parts

14/45 = (the proven combination) good launching torque for drag racing, more stress on mechanical parts

13/42 = should have very high torque at launch, new front sprocket for the 636, needs to be tested, should have very high stress on mechanical parts especially chain due to turning diameter being reduced

Don't get me wrong 768, I'm not saying not to do it, or that it won't work. This is just my opinion based on experience at the track. The 13 front sprocket is a new sprocket for the 636 that was not available when I went through the process of selecting the gearing for my bike, I have tested every combination possible that include the 14,15 front and 40-45 rear.

Test out the 13 front and let us know the results. Compare your notes from your current gearing and set up with the results from the 13 front and see if its a positive change or negative. Remember with gear changes it takes a few passes to get used to the new gearing. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats exactly what you want to do, problem is if you put too much torque you can run into problems. 13/42 = 3.23, 14/45 = 3.21, 15/49 = 3.21 (its been a while so my math might be just a little off not much though) all these gearings give you just about the same final ratio.

15/49 = launching torque is poor for drag racing, less stress on mechanical parts

14/45 = (the proven combination) good launching torque for drag racing, more stress on mechanical parts

13/42 = should have very high torque at launch, new front sprocket for the 636, needs to be tested, should have very high stress on mechanical parts especially chain due to turning diameter being reduced

Don't get me wrong 768, I'm not saying not to do it, or that it won't work. This is just my opinion based on experience at the track. The 13 front sprocket is a new sprocket for the 636 that was not available when I went through the process of selecting the gearing for my bike, I have tested every combination possible that include the 14,15 front and 40-45 rear.

Test out the 13 front and let us know the results. Compare your notes from your current gearing and set up with the results from the 13 front and see if its a positive change or negative. Remember with gear changes it takes a few passes to get used to the new gearing. Good Luck!
hey wally your no#'s are right with your gearing chart, i checked with drive systems and they offer a AFAM steel 13t for the 03-06 636's, i have a DID erv gold series chain, sprocket should be here this week, dont no when im going to put it on due to work schedule but as soon as i get to test it out i will post the results, i think with the smaller front i want have to leave as high as with the 14t tho due to the extra torque down low so that help out a ton on clutch wear and hopefully if i can keep the front end down will improve 60ft times

·
Registered
369 Posts
I ran 10.4 w/ mine stretched and -1 in the front. 6.8 something was my best 1/8th. I then went up 3 in the back to be -1/+3. Never got a good run in the 1/4 but my 1/8 times were better. I took my stretch off and raised it back up stock height now. I have ran my -1 sprocket since the week after I got the bike 2 yrs ago and havent had a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts