Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of gearing are people using? Give your tooth size front and rear and what you like and do not like about it.

I have stock gearing and was considering a 41 or 42 tooth rear. It could use the powerband slightly lower in the rpms. However, I do not want to loose too much top speed.

What are you running?<div align="left"></div id="left">

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I put a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket on the bike. It wasn't revving out all the way in top gear going down the straight at Gratten raceway. This mod took care of that muhuhahhahaHHAHAHAH!

The bike always wheelied a little bit coming outta turn one there but now it almost wants to loop me outta the seat so I take it in third. It improved my lap times so I can't complain.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by twowheel
I have stock gearing and was considering a 41 or 42 tooth rear. It could use the powerband slightly lower in the rpms.
A larger sprocket will still give the same power at lower (and all) revs. The bike will just get there quicker.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my experience it does change the rpm band and makes the powerband lower in the RPMs. When previously cruising on the freeway at 5000 I would usually be going significantly faster at the same RPMs with higher gearing in the rear or lower in the front. And hit Redline at a lower speed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by twowheel
From my experience it does change the rpm band and makes the powerband lower in the RPMs. When previously cruising on the freeway at 5000 I would usually be going significantly faster at the same RPMs with higher gearing in the rear or lower in the front. And hit Redline at a lower speed.
Shorter gearing will indeed give lower speed at 5,000 (and any) rpm. But your bike will make the same power at 5,000 rpm as before.

You may want to check out Dan Kyle's posts in this thread on r1-forum.com.

·
Registered
156 Posts
you wanna move the powerband around....adjust cam timing(arent there adj cam gears avalable to us?). just like a car. advancing cam timing increases bottom end power and lossing top end power, vice versa for retarding cam timing.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i'm goin with a 43T vortex in the back and a 15T in the front

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm at 16/46 witch translates into 15/43.Ive done this because I set the backend highter. with +6T and the front +1T because i didnt want the chain to rub throught the rubber swingarm cover or the swingarm.
i do all kinda weired stuff to my bike and find out what works best for me
Barry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.