Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 6r and would like to gear it to make it a little easier to do wheelies in higher gears. I'm not that concerned about losing top speed. What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know what stock gearing is for an 026r, but if you drop one tooth in the front it's like adding three in the rear. Which will give you better acceleration and easier wheelies without having to replace your chain. I would not suggest going smaller then a 15 tooth on the counter sprocket, so you don't wear out your chain as fast. I would suggest dropping one up front and adding two in the rear. While changing gearing you might as well change everything out with new stuff chain and all.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
just drop 1 in front....that should get you up in 2 and maybe 3rd...

add some to the rear if you still need too...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
+2 in rear makes getting it up in first and clutching it up in second easier. Add a -1 in front and you don't have to get off and on the gas to get the front up anymore, just power it up. Second will come up alot faster too. Plus, you will still be able to run at least 120+. Your top speed won't depreciate as much as you think. If you are just going to use it to stunt, why not replace that stock 40 rear with a 50.

·
Registered
999 Posts
With stock gearing you can do 3rd gear standups at 100mph. I have it on video, just takes a little practice. Im not sure what gear or speed your looking for but -1 in the front helps. I prefer -1 or stock gearing, the more you gear it down the more touchy the throttle gets.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze
Originally posted by Strong Bad
Hmmm sixth gear stand up wheelies at 80 - interesting.
It won't hardly be that drastic! lol

Not at all. My 96 Ninja used to be geared -1 in front and +2 in back. Top speed in sixth gear was around 130mph indicated, but that's with the tach on redline. I switched it back to stock gearing because I kept trying to shift into seventh gear all the time, and really didn't need the lower gearing to do wheelies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.