Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first, do you own a bike? :)

second, give us some examples of what you are asking.
nope. i don't own one. but i am eyeing that ninja 250 bike and just curious to know about what miles it can reach at a certain gear. An example would be if i were in 1st gear is the fastest you could go is say 20 mph? i just want an idea about how the ninja 250r gears work as far as miles go, before i get it.

Match engine speed to road speed. I could go 20MPH by screaming in first, or lugging it in 6th.
When you get the bike, you'll quickly see what is comfortable. It'll just feel right.
thanks man, this seems quite reasonable.

i am a complete newbie to this but im willing to take in all your comments, advice and whatnot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My 07, which isnt much different, with normal daily driving:
1st- Get started-5-10mph then shift.
2nd- Up to 15-20
3rd- 20-30
4th-30-35
5th-35-40
6th-40+

As you can see, thats like the minimum speeds, the way you ride for good fuel economy. Going 70mph (inidicated) on the highway I tach about 9K in sixth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 07, which isnt much different, with normal daily driving:
1st- Get started-5-10mph then shift.
2nd- Up to 15-20
3rd- 20-30
4th-30-35
5th-35-40
6th-40+

As you can see, thats like the minimum speeds, the way you ride for good fuel economy. Going 70mph (inidicated) on the highway I tach about 9K in sixth.
thanks man. this is the exact information i need. i'd rep you, but they won't let me because i don't have enough post yet.

also, so in a normal highway speed, should your gears range somewhere in the 5th or 6th gear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
im just curious to know is there a certain gear your suppose to be on to reach a certain speed?
basically once you reach the high revs of a gear (by accelerating) you shift up a gear, and as has been stated by NinjaSPEED the gears fall into comfortable revs between those speeds. therefore highway speeds (60mph? I'm not from the US) would be 6th gear otherwise either you won't reach the speed in the first place or you're revving too high and you'll eventually blow the engine or damage it. to change gears you pull the clutch lever, change up a gear, then let the clutch lever out so that the clutch plate engages the transmission (bikes work like cars right? lol) so that you can accelerate to higher wheel revolutions without killing the engine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
basically once you reach the high revs of a gear (by accelerating) you shift up a gear, and as has been stated by NinjaSPEED the gears fall into comfortable revs between those speeds. therefore highway speeds (60mph? I'm not from the US) would be 6th gear otherwise either you won't reach the speed in the first place or you're revving too high and you'll eventually blow the engine or damage it. to change gears you pull the clutch lever, change up a gear, then let the clutch lever out so that the clutch plate engages the transmission (bikes work like cars right? lol) so that you can accelerate to higher wheel revolutions without killing the engine.
+1 i agree

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
redandblue- do you drive a car?
yes.

thanks. great info man.

i don't even look at the speed i'm going, i just listen to how much noise the engine is making. All you need to know is, shift before you hit the red line on your rpm meter.
yes, i know. but i just want a general idea on how the gears are on the ninja 250r is as far as miles is concerned.

thanks guys for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts