Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team Green and their slipper clutch has won me over. I've owned my 03 ZX6RR for almost a year now and want a little more juice.

The first gen was what I had most in mind, but am not sure I want to ride on a 190/50 while most modern bikes are 190/55's. I love the weight, power, and price. It's the most similar to the hard edged RR that I am accustomed too.

Second gen, I love the looks, but the sharp gas tank edges digs into my ribs when I hang off. Bun warmers kinda annoy me as I am used to a side pipe.

Third gen is just too pricey for me ATM.

Most of the time the bike will be spent on Palomar South Grade or Azusa GMR. All 15-25mph turns. Maybe 4 times a year at Fontana.

Can I upgrade/change the rear rim on the 04-05 ZX10R's to fit a 190/55?
Is there something I can do on the second gen's gas tank from splitting my ribs?

Any comments on handling of the either would also be GREATLY appreciated as well. Thats more important to me than the power difference between the two. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had both and both have there advantages and disadvantages. I wouldnt base my purchase on the difference in a 50 and 55 profile tire. The 04/05 has more leg room and you sit more upright. Its alot more comfortable to me. The 06/07 has a more racier sitting position. I have never heard of the tank bothering someones ribs though, maybe you can adjust your riding position a little. I like the looks of the 06/07 better. Sitting next to my friends 04 my 06 looks so much better to me, I know thats a matter of opinion though. It may not have the snap of the 04/05 but its no slouch by any means. I ran my friends 04 and he would pull me about 2 bike lengths, he would jump me in the low rpms and then we would stay the same but he had -1 up front. I have since went down 1 myself and it makes a huge difference on the 06.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i ran a 190/55 on my first gen and LOVED it. also did a shock and forks, handled better than my 636 and had gobs of power. its not as refined as some of the newer stuff but it was masterbike-both years it was made.
Do I need to get a new rim for the gen1 or can I install a 190/55 tire on the stock rear rim?

I have had both and both have there advantages and disadvantages. I wouldnt base my purchase on the difference in a 50 and 55 profile tire. The 04/05 has more leg room and you sit more upright. Its alot more comfortable to me. The 06/07 has a more racier sitting position. I have never heard of the tank bothering someones ribs though, maybe you can adjust your riding position a little. I like the looks of the 06/07 better. Sitting next to my friends 04 my 06 looks so much better to me, I know thats a matter of opinion though. It may not have the snap of the 04/05 but its no slouch by any means. I ran my friends 04 and he would pull me about 2 bike lengths, he would jump me in the low rpms and then we would stay the same but he had -1 up front. I have since went down 1 myself and it makes a huge difference on the 06.
I need as much contact patch as possible. My riding position is very new school. My helmet is right next to the mirrors and down low to keep the center of gravity low. The tank therefore digs in at that point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.