Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some quick questions:

-Do you ever recall having a battery fail on you after X amount of time of inactivity? If so, how long and what was on it to drain? (ie: lojack, alarm, etc)
Mine died with scorpio and lojack in 2 weeks which seems a little strange to me and now works fine after plugging it into a battery tender.

-What is the best place to purchase a battery? I've searched motosport, motorcycle-superstore, motomummy and kneedraggers with no luck.
Amazon has a few, but they range from 65-88 w/o shipping. Are there differences between them?

-As per the Kawasaki Service Manual, they ask you to spin the front and rear wheels to check the bearings and notice any noise, roughness or binding. I hear slight friction that may be coming from the brake pads but not entirely sure, is this normal? Do you hear anything when spinning yours?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Good questions. I've never had a battery fail. My room mate had one fail on his 03 cbr and bought one from walmart. It's worked fine for him so far.

No idea on the wheels, so I'll keep posted to find out myself. I would assume the brakes drag a tiny bit so it's normal. Also, I'd imagine the chain creates some friction on the rear wheel naturally.

Reactions: Gman

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
battery i would say, interstate work just fine.

as for wheel bearings normally i swap wheels out before i swap bearings these days, but hell going by what the service manual says is indeed a good start point.
swapped them out on my zx7r & 9R and was not to bad, as well as pulling and putting new bearing in on a powdercoated wheels.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
You can also get a battery from Napa. Anyone who ever needs bearings, PM me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Checking for bearing noise with the brake calipers on the bike just won't give you the assurance you need. Remove the calipers suspend them away from the wheel then give the wheels a good spin. If there's an issue with them at all you'll know it and hear it right away. If they're really bad you'll feel it too. Seriously I can't see you needing bearings yet unless you have a shitload of miles on your bike or it's more than a few yrs old.

As for the batt now that it's been killed flat you are right in thinking you should get a new one. Anything less than 100 bucks is prob fine. Interstate and Napa make a good product and back them up quite well. It's not a big deal really but it can make a big deal of diff on the bike. A new battery is a wise investment every couple seasons as trying to charge an old battery can damage your charging system over time.

Habs

·
Registered
108 Posts
As far as batteries,
After my wipe out in March, i was outta commission for 6 months. Original battery dead of course. Bought a new one at Discount AutoParts. Started up fine. Took 3 months to get all my new fairings shipped and painted, jumped the second battery, drove it home 40 min. Turned it off, tried to start it again - dead. Wouldnt hold a charge. My fellow Kawi contributes told me that any battery that sits goes to shit!. returned the battery, guess what - one day after the warranty expired. Thanks for that Murphy's Law kick-in-the-ass. Bought the same battery - again. Haven't stopped riding since and she hasn't failed me yet. I guess as long ass you keep them active they're fine.

As far as the low-jack, i believe my bike has one (that i have to re-register). Is that true the draw power when the bike is off?

Also- just hit about 30K on my bike. ( i know half of you are like _HOLY SHIT!! 30K), but I was commuting 140 miles a day highway down hear Florida from Miami to Boca Raton on straight highway. Now im local so the miles went from 71 each way to 17. Should I be worried about my bearings? What else should I be worried about? She gets regular oil changes, had a new 520 convo done a year ago, and just did a small overhaul of fluids. air filter and plugs last weekend. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as batteries,
After my wipe out in March, i was outta commission for 6 months. Original battery dead of course. Bought a new one at Discount AutoParts. Started up fine. Took 3 months to get all my new fairings shipped and painted, jumped the second battery, drove it home 40 min. Turned it off, tried to start it again - dead. Wouldnt hold a charge. My fellow Kawi contributes told me that any battery that sits goes to shit!. returned the battery, guess what - one day after the warranty expired. Thanks for that Murphy's Law kick-in-the-ass. Bought the same battery - again. Haven't stopped riding since and she hasn't failed me yet. I guess as long ass you keep them active they're fine.

As far as the low-jack, i believe my bike has one (that i have to re-register). Is that true the draw power when the bike is off?

Also- just hit about 30K on my bike. ( i know half of you are like _HOLY SHIT!! 30K), but I was commuting 140 miles a day highway down hear Florida from Miami to Boca Raton on straight highway. Now im local so the miles went from 71 each way to 17. Should I be worried about my bearings? What else should I be worried about? She gets regular oil changes, had a new 520 convo done a year ago, and just did a small overhaul of fluids. air filter and plugs last weekend. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
The bike DOES draw power from the lojack, but the manual says its an inconsiderable amount but I'm assuming THAT coupled with the scorpio really did a number on mine for over the duration of 2 weeks. Like the comment above, I wouldn't worry too much about bearings unless you hear noticeable scraping from the INSIDE of the wheel and not in the pads, meaning if you really wanna find out, remove the pads so nothing holds it, including the chain. Just spin it on the axle and you should hear lube rolling. If not, its time to change the bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts