Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
generator

Stupid me I left the bike not started but on at work, and at break time went to go to store. Needless to say after sitting four hours it would not start. Anyways after work I got a jump and after a 30 min... ride or so I shut it off. Then about an hour or so later it was still not starting, and got another jump (with cables off of a car)
to ride home on. After another 30-or so minute ride getting home I shut off the bike to unlock the door, and after opening garage door it started right up and I pulled it into garage. That was around 4pm, later around 9:00pm I check again and it now has enough power to start. I was just wondering if anyone know's if the GEN is an AKA altenator and if so how long does it take to recharge to a startable charge.

all input appreciated.............

;:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Generator/alternator/stator...
Generally all refer to the same thing.

It generates power to supply all the bikes needs plus charge the battery when the engine is running.

Typically, the engine needs to be above a few thousand RPMs for the battery to receive a good charge.

How long it will take to charge will depend on how drained the battery is.

An easy check to see if the stator/alternator/generator is charging is to turn on the engine, disconnect one side of the battery, and if the engine keeps running, then more than likely the cgarging system is good.

If the engine dies, then it is bad.

Get a battery tender (trickle charger) and leave it overnight connected to the battery to fully charge it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
checked it again this morning, and still has a charge. This is good news...
Thnx for input G2G

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
the generator/ alternator thing is incorrect

a generator by definition will charge the battery and alternator only generates enough juice to keep the battery at the same voltage it has been since you started the motor

as to the original question i do not know

·
Powerhungry
38,381 Posts
dont try to CHARGE the battery WITH the bikes charging system.
that it NOT what its designed for.

its meant to KEEP the battery charged. and to top of the tiny bit it takes when you start it up.

i wouldnt trust it to get fully charged by riding the bike.

its needs put on a low amp trickle charger... for a few hours, at the very least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts