Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any races here had some geometry numbers on their set up. Took a year and a half off from racing and getting back into it. Just got my suspension rebuild and cant find my sheet I had everything written down on. :( So kind of starting from scratch again. Got the bike someone what set up , but it didnt want to hold its line coming out of a corner. Probably need some rear ride height.

Set up ~

Dunlop 211 [uk made]
Ohlins Rear
Ohlins 25mm cart.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I don't race, but I've gotten into trackdays in the last year and am saving up to get licensed and do a few CCS or WERA events next year. I've had the chance to pick a few brains and read about what some guys have found that works.

Everyone I've spoken to said that flushing the triples is the thing to do on our bikes. I actually haven't done that yet, I'm still at 12 mm of fork above the triple. I've had success getting a little better turn-in adding a 6mm shim to the rear shock (I've got an Ohlins rear but no ride-height adjuster). With tall profile of the 211s though, I'd start at stock ride height and see how you like it. With 12mm of fork showing and +6mm in the rear (normally run 180 tires but I ran a set of 190 003 takeoffs last weekend at Barber and didn't notice much difference except side grip at lean) I only get a bit of head shake driving out of corners in lower gears. Getting the rear up really helped it turn better for me as these things are a little sluggish in stock form and to this point I don't run a damper, yet I don't get any kind of shake in the front end that is concerning.

Another thing to consider is that 12 degrees swingarm angle is the approximate number to shoot (from my reading) to balance squat/antisquat on the rear suspension.

And then I've heard things about the stock 636 linkage being too progressive. I can't remember exactly the issue and I'm not very well versed in how linkage rates play into the rear suspension question but I have seen some experienced racers mention that the zx6rr linkage (05/06) is supposed to be better than the zx6r linkage.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any actual answers for you but hopefully that gives you some food for thought. There are several threads on setting up a 636 over on the WERA forums and there are some very experienced guys over there to ask questions with. Over here you have a lot more street and hobby guys with less race experience but there is a serious depth of knowledge and a good bit of race experience on our bikes over at the WERA site. I'd highly recommend searching over there and asking questions if you don't see the info you want or would like further clarification. Good luck!

forums.13x.com is the WERA forum if you didn't know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts