Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
man...if i had known all the air needed was to "get spoon" i would have pulled a few out of the drawer in the kitchen and tossed 'em in the old airbox a long time ago:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Holy shipping costs Batman!
 

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
Joined
·
8,215 Posts
Hmm...several comments on this one.

1. In his feedback list, he used that ebay account to buy something, and the seller left him a negative comment saying he won the bid but never sent the money, and the guy's response was "He tried scamming me on the shipping so I didn't buy." Back track to the item listing. $39.95 to ship four aluminum rings USPS priority from Illinois to Florida (or anywhere in the US). And he promises a "money back guarantee", but "you only pay S&H". So you get your money back...minus the $40 you paid for your $3.50 USPS priority shipping. Seems he learned a thing or two from his scamming seller pal.

2. The device for cars called the Tornado or Hurricane or whatever the hell was making these claims all over TV, and some car mag or another did an independent test, and found no change whatsoever. They said you'd see a more solid HP gain from tossing a $2 bottle of injector cleaner in your gas tank.

3. Someone needs to 'Ask the Seller a Question'...ask if the air wants to cuddle after all that spooning.

EDIT -- Did it myself.

 

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
Joined
·
8,215 Posts
Well that was disappointing. He handled it pretty well. But what the hell does he mean by 'hire cheap help'? Was he letting his four year old type up his ebay listing for $0.25 and a McFlurry?



Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i see how these work in theory, better air fuel mizture, the better the burn, but first i was wondering, wouldnt this spoil the smooth airflow through the throttle bodies, and second he tries to break it down to a molecular level of fuel and oxygen. i dont think that spinning air, will make it break down and seperate in to oxygen and nitorgen, so that just the oxygen enter the cylinder. kinda funny, but retarted in the same.

spoon on everybody spoon on.
 

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
Joined
·
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by helo-pilot
i see how these work in theory, better air fuel mizture, the better the burn, but first i was wondering, wouldnt this spoil the smooth airflow through the throttle bodies, and second he tries to break it down to a molecular level of fuel and oxygen. i dont think that spinning air, will make it break down and seperate in to oxygen and nitorgen, so that just the oxygen enter the cylinder. kinda funny, but retarted in the same.

spoon on everybody spoon on.
The thing is that the velocity stacks are designed to do what he's claiming his devices do (minus the spooning). It's just overkill, and seems to me that all you're doing is putting something restrictive in the intake track. The only way 'spooning' really helps anything is if you get an air-fuel homogoniser setup...really complicated deal...some crazy mechanical engineering guy in Orlando created a setup for a Fiero that used a turbocharger's compressor to actually pre-mix and compress the air and fuel before entering a modified carburetor that spits it into the cylanders. It was all complicated and cooled and stuff to keep the mixture from pre-igniting, and I don't know all the specifics, but he saw a 80% horsepower increase, and roughly 1/3 to 1/2 better gas milage. The car went from 20 mpg to 28-30 mpg, and he picked up like 100 HP or something. It was incredible, but not cost efficient at all, and definately not safe for racing use where the temperatures would just get too hot for the pre-mixed fuel.
 

·
ratherberiding
Joined
·
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



The thing is that the velocity stacks are designed to do what he's claiming his devices do (minus the spooning). It's just overkill, and seems to me that all you're doing is putting something restrictive in the intake track. The only way 'spooning' really helps anything is if you get an air-fuel homogoniser setup...really complicated deal...some crazy mechanical engineering guy in Orlando created a setup for a Fiero that used a turbocharger's compressor to actually pre-mix and compress the air and fuel before entering a modified carburetor that spits it into the cylanders. It was all complicated and cooled and stuff to keep the mixture from pre-igniting, and I don't know all the specifics, but he saw a 80% horsepower increase, and roughly 1/3 to 1/2 better gas milage. The car went from 20 mpg to 28-30 mpg, and he picked up like 100 HP or something. It was incredible, but not cost efficient at all, and definately not safe for racing use where the temperatures would just get too hot for the pre-mixed fuel.
What the hell do you do for a living??? :D
 

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
Joined
·
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by joonyaboy



What the hell do you do for a living??? :D
I'm an IT guy for a print communications company. Isn't that disappointing? heheh Why do you ask?
 

·
ratherberiding
Joined
·
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



I'm an IT guy for a print communications company. Isn't that disappointing? heheh Why do you ask?
Cause you're so into this sport and you have vast knowledge and you're on here all the time, just curious to see if you worked in a related field of the sport. (sorry for threadjack)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



.some crazy mechanical engineering guy in Orlando created a setup for a Fiero that used a turbocharger's compressor to actually pre-mix and compress the air and fuel before entering a modified carburetor that spits it into the cylanders. It was all complicated and cooled and stuff to keep the mixture from pre-igniting, and I don't know all the specifics, but he saw a 80% horsepower increase, and roughly 1/3 to 1/2 better gas milage. The car went from 20 mpg to 28-30 mpg, and he picked up like 100 HP or something. It was incredible, but not cost efficient at all, and definately not safe for racing use where the temperatures would just get too hot for the pre-mixed fuel.
That guy was the legendary "Smokey Yunick". One of the best old school nascar mechanics. He died a few years back. He did design a motor that got 30+mpg and made over 300 hp. He put it in a fiero and was written up in a couple of different car mags. The downside was it took 30 minutes to reach operating temp.
 

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
Joined
·
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by trig
I already bought em, now I just gotta figure out if I can custom fit them to my bike.

Full write-up, with pics soon to come!!!
Are you serious? You actually spent over $50 on them? Man something's wrong with you. lol But yeah, we need pics of the spooning in action. ;)

Originally posted by joonyaboy



Cause you're so into this sport and you have vast knowledge and you're on here all the time, just curious to see if you worked in a related field of the sport. (sorry for threadjack)
Well...thanks. You think, maybe...[:M12] hahah...j/k I wish I worked in the industry (well, more than at dealer-level anyway...unless I owned a dealership...I've known too many unhappy employees). I met Michael Czysz at Laguna Seca, and I was trying to steer the topic of conversation to job openings, because I would drop everything and move to Oregon to work for his company in a heartbeat, even if I just answered phones. [:M32] He was too busy to really get into it though. :/

Originally posted by 2005 zx6-r



That guy was the legendary "Smokey Yunick". One of the best old school nascar mechanics. He died a few years back. He did design a motor that got 30+mpg and made over 300 hp. He put it in a fiero and was written up in a couple of different car mags. The downside was it took 30 minutes to reach operating temp.
Yeah, good shit. Glad I'm not the only one. I haven't heard shit about him in years, so I was starting to think maybe I was crazy. heheh
 

·
ratherberiding
Joined
·
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt


Well...thanks. You think, maybe...[:M12] hahah...j/k I wish I worked in the industry (well, more than at dealer-level anyway...unless I owned a dealership...I've known too many unhappy employees). I met Michael Czysz at Laguna Seca, and I was trying to steer the topic of conversation to job openings, because I would drop everything and move to Oregon to work for his company in a heartbeat, even if I just answered phones. [:M32] He was too busy to really get into it though. :/
That bike of his is sick sick sick. Is there anymore news about that bike, as far a racing or production goes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Guys. These pieces of shit, (and I do use that word with careful thought :) ) have been around since the '80's. At that time they were called Swarup's and were something like $75. One of the bike mags did a test back then since people were getting excited about the idea, and found that the Swarup either did nothing, or actually decreased HP due to the restriction in the airway.

If you could get 8HP by putting .10 worth of aluminum into the intakes, why wouldn't Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki do it? They want to win the HP wars and every race, don't they? Do you really think they would have overlooked something this simple?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top