Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im gonna get a 250 next year(only 15 now) but i have a few questions

is it safe to ride it to school? cars arnt really broken into at my school and its not a bad neighborhood

I know you have to shift but how do you( im sure they will cover it in the class i got to take)

is it really easy to handle like people say?

ty for help everyone

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hi, Hello, Aloha, Hola.......

is it safe to ride it to school? cars arnt really broken into at my school and its not a bad neighborhood

I know you have to shift but how do you( im sure they will cover it in the class i got to take)

ty for help everyone
Question 1: Yes

Question 2: No

Question 3: Yes

Answer: SEARCH

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

ty for help everyone
Skeets, you got thrown off again yesterday and you're back today. I don't know how, or why, you do it. Is this the only thing you have to do? You need to learn what fun is.

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Skeets, you got thrown off again yesterday and you're back today. I don't know how, or why, you do it. Is this the only thing you have to do? You need to learn what fun is.

Thanks
what are you talking about?

but anyways it will be nice having a motorcycle everyone around where i live who dosent drive a car drives a scooter
will be nice to know im driving something better then people who are older then me :p

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
but anyways it will be nice having a motorcycle everyone around where i live who dosent drive a car drives a scooter
will be nice to know im driving something better then people who are older then me :p
yeah, man... that'll show em' or get a busa and really show em'!!
at my school i got the fastest, shiniest electric wheelchair and i'm the envy of all the home nurses... talk about a cock strut! :eek:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, man... that'll show em' or get a busa and really show em'!!
at my school i got the fastest, shiniest electric wheelchair and i'm the envy of all the home nurses... talk about a cock strut! :eek:
... im not only getting a motorcycle for that reason

main reasons are
its a lot more fun then a car
a lot cheaper then a car and uses less gas

·
Registered
64 Posts

I'd guess so, but no way of knowing, of course. Of course they're easier to steal and easier to vandalize then cars, but you take precations (such as locking the front wheel or getting some sort of alarm system and good insurance).

There's a clutch lever on the left handle bar and a shifter pedal on the left side of the bike. You pull in the clutch lever and then change gears by either pressing the shifter down or pushing it up with your forefoot. From neutral, 1st gear is a single kick down and then you kick up (lift the shift pedal with your toes) for the rest of the gears (six total for the 250). From sixth gear, you kick down all the way to first, and then toe up one half-step to get into nuetral. Basically, you push down to downshift and up to upshift with the special cases of 1st gear and nuetral. You have to coordinate the clutch and the throttle, too, to avoid stalling the bike. It's tricky if you've never driven a manual car, but not rocket science - more a coordination thing that you'll get in a few hours of practice. I'd practice on a manual shift car if available before your class - it'll make it easier.

Yes - it's like riding a bicycle - and you're just as vulnerable - only moving a lot faster with traffic all around you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'd guess so, but no way of knowing, of course. Of course they're easier to steal and easier to vandalize then cars, but you take precations (such as locking the front wheel or getting some sort of alarm system and good insurance).

There's a clutch lever on the left handle bar and a shifter pedal on the left side of the bike. You pull in the clutch lever and then change gears by either pressing the shifter down or pushing it up with your forefoot. From neutral, 1st gear is a single kick down and then you kick up (lift the shift pedal with your toes) for the rest of the gears (six total for the 250). From sixth gear, you kick down all the way to first, and then toe up one half-step to get into nuetral. Basically, you push down to downshift and up to upshift with the special cases of 1st gear and nuetral. You have to coordinate the clutch and the throttle, too, to avoid stalling the bike. It's tricky if you've never driven a manual car, but not rocket science - more a coordination thing that you'll get in a few hours of practice. I'd practice on a manual shift car if available before your class - it'll make it easier.

Yes - it's like riding a bicycle - and you're just as vulnerable - only moving a lot faster with traffic all around you.
i just saw that my class im taking teaches how to shift and its ment for people who have never ride a motorcycle before

i might get lojack or something is that good? I know its expensive but if i spend $4000(if i cant find an 08 im getting an 09) I might as well spend like $500 or whatever if it will help get my bike back

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just read that the 2008 wont be in dealerships till like october is that true? it dosent matter really since im not gonna get it anytime soon(gotta wait till i get license)

·
Registered
78 Posts
i just read that the 2008 wont be in dealerships till like october is that true? it dosent matter really since im not gonna get it anytime soon(gotta wait till i get license)
most likely they'll be 09's in october, the last shipment for 08's to the dealers was yesterday so they should arrive this week or next week at the latest i'd imagine.

4k prob won't happen either since msrp on the 09's is 4k adn the bike is in high demand, GL tho with class, it's def worth it

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
most likely they'll be 09's in october, the last shipment for 08's to the dealers was yesterday so they should arrive this week or next week at the latest i'd imagine.

4k prob won't happen either since msrp on the 09's is 4k adn the bike is in high demand, GL tho with class, it's def worth it
so i might have trouble finding a bike?

i have to take the class since im under 21 but i want to its only 15 hours and 9 hours is on the bike

·
Registered
78 Posts
so i might have trouble finding a bike?

i have to take the class since im under 21 but i want to its only 15 hours and 9 hours is on the bike
can't really tell ya on that one, right now the prices for this bike have just been going up, mine will be 4430 OTD once i pick it up but that's only cuz i had a $500 off coupon for that dealership (which i got from the MSF class), they wouldn't budge on teh 4930 that they wanted even if i paid in cash and whatnot (down here in south florida u have no leverage)

but, with the 09's it could possibly help reduce this trend, and also since apparently honda, suzuki, and yamaha r entering the 250cc sportbike market. so maybe the price and availability will be better. on a side note, if my bike doesn't come in by end of next week, i'll most likely look for a pre-08 since i've found for around 2500 or less, or c if the dealer will upgrade me to the 09 for the same price (which he might b/c i've been waiting for a while and they've already offered me the 3 year warranty free bc i've been waiting so long)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't really tell ya on that one, right now the prices for this bike have just been going up, mine will be 4430 OTD once i pick it up but that's only cuz i had a $500 off coupon for that dealership (which i got from the MSF class), they wouldn't budge on teh 4930 that they wanted even if i paid in cash and whatnot (down here in south florida u have no leverage)

but, with the 09's it could possibly help reduce this trend, and also since apparently honda, suzuki, and yamaha r entering the 250cc sportbike market. so maybe the price and availability will be better. on a side note, if my bike doesn't come in by end of next week, i'll most likely look for a pre-08 since i've found for around 2500 or less, or c if the dealer will upgrade me to the 09 for the same price (which he might b/c i've been waiting for a while and they've already offered me the 3 year warranty free bc i've been waiting so long)
well im not getting my bike till febuary 2009 so hopfuly i can find a 2008 or 2009 then

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Buy a scooter and practice between now and feb 09. Scooters are fun and will help you with agility, cornering, braking, and staying alert and out of trouble.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Buy a used 08' no wait, no dealership worries, you can can find them with low miles, you won't regret it!

1 Week prior to buying my 250R I rode and wrecked a 85R 2 stroke dirtbike and rode and wrecked a 50cc moped.

I wrecked both because I was learning. I almost did intentionally, once I got comfortable I kept pushing harder and harder untill i met the pavement, the pavement will make you bleed, but it will make you learn (at less than 30 miles an hour of coarse) I'm not suggesting you wreck, but get SOME riding experiance in. The dirtbikes will teach you how to shift, and mopeds will teach you agility and how to handle traffic.

On my 250R, I feel very comfortable and never laid it over after about 2,000 miles. I ride atleast 35 miles EVERY day, some days over 100 miles. I don't ride in the rain though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buy a scooter and practice between now and feb 09. Scooters are fun and will help you with agility, cornering, braking, and staying alert and out of trouble.
im taking that coruse and i cant drive a scooter on the rode even since i dont have a license im getting my endorsment when i get my license since i dont have to take the test for getting my endorsment(since im taking that course it waives it all) but im going to ride at my moms friends house cause they have alot of space and its private property

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
im taking that coruse and i cant drive a scooter on the rode even since i dont have a license im getting my endorsment when i get my license since i dont have to take the test for getting my endorsment(since im taking that course it waives it all) but im going to ride at my moms friends house cause they have alot of space and its private property

I hope you know what you mean.

Get a dirt bike and have a ball at your mom's friend's private property. You will learn everything with a dirt bike and have a blast doing it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope you know what you mean.

Get a dirt bike and have a ball at your mom's friend's private property. You will learn everything with a dirt bike and have a blast doing it.
wow i feel stupid im not sure how i didnt get what you mean

i think he might actually have a dirt bike

and did you mean
I hope you know what I mean or I hope you know what you mean

if you did mean to right what you did sorry im a little bit hard to understand sometimes

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Holy crap.....your posts are very difficult (and by difficult I mean painful:banghead: ) to read. Formulate a sentence with some structure. Maybe a period or a comma every now and then.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.