Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slid out at Spokane Raceway Park this weekend in turn #9 and my head barely hit the ground. There are a few chips in the helmet from rocks, but I'm not sure if it is done in or not.

Is there somewhere I can send my helmet to have the integrity inspected? It's a Shoei x-11.

BTW, street tires won't cut it when you start running faster. My pilot powers were sliding around alot before the wreck. I lowsided off of the track after I saved a lowside in the turn [xx(]

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd start by contacting Shoei. I have not had to have any of my Shoei helmets checked after an impact (knock on wood) but I've had a few Bell helmets checked and Bell always handled it. Ok, so that was 20 some odd years ago. Best of luck with it.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Honestly, is it worth it? AFAIK, helmets are designed for one (1) crash/low-side, etc. I've crashed twice and both times my helmets looked fine. In fact I couldn't see a scratch on it....but you have no idea what's goin on inside. It would suck to go down again, have your helmet shatter and slit your throat.

I know Shoei's are ridonkulously expensive but even if some place gave me the OK, I'd still get a new lid. Just mah 2 cents.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know Shoei's are ridonkulously expensive but even if some place gave me the OK, I'd still get a new lid. Just mah 2 cents.

I think I will be getting a new one like your saying. The good thing is that because I have family that works for a... Harley dealership, I can get new shoei helmets for cost, around $300 for an x-11 [:p]

Thanks for the response guys

·
Registered
550 Posts
Every helmet I've gotten had a paper (amongst the jillion little instruction and description papers) that said if you ever dropped it or wore it in an accident, call this number or mail it to this address, and they'd inspect it to make sure it was still safe. Dig through your stuff that came with it, you'll probably find something.

This is 2nd party info, so I won't vouch for its accuracy -- I know a guy on another message board that lives close to Bell's HQ. He claims to have been there, and said they have a trophy wall of letters and helmet pics. He asked about it, and they said that if someone sends in a helmet for inspection and the letter has a decent enough story of it saving their life, they'll stick up their letter with a pic of the helmet, then send the person a new one. May be total BS (although the guy has always seemed straight-up, you never know on the internet,) but I'll damn sure be putting a love letter in with any lid I send back to the manf for inspection. Probably won't work, but it's worth a few extra minutes if I by some freak chance get a new lid out of the deal.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i would talk to shoei. and i think they have a way ox x-raying them. they would be able to let you know.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Originally posted by hockeynut258

I think I will be getting a new one like your saying. The good thing is that because I have family that works for a... Harley dealership, I can get new shoei helmets for cost, around $300 for an x-11 [:p]

Thanks for the response guys

Nice, how about hooking me up with the Kagayama?

Cheapest I have found that helmet for was $499 on ebay.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by helo-pilot
i would talk to shoei. and i think they have a way ox x-raying them. they would be able to let you know.
Was able to contact shoei usa and they will for free, inspect your helmet. I'm not exactly sure what they do, but I sent it out and should get it back in 7-10 business days.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Daryl 636

Nice, how about hooking me up with the Kagayama?

Cheapest I have found that helmet for was $499 on ebay.
I would if I could and its only one shoei helmet per year, per employee.

If you know someone who works for a motorcycle shop who doesn't need a helmet, ask them to find out if shoei does that for their shop

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.