Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

getting ready for the track...

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  senfo 
#1 ·
I'm going to willow springs this weekend an it's my first track day. I talked with the track company that I'm going with and they told me I need to drain my anti-freeze, and put water w/ watter wetter inside it. Has anyone ever done this and have any tips on exactly how it should be done...sounds kind of stupid to me.

Also, how exactly do you shut the headlight off???? Fuse, or harness? Does anyone have directions on how to do it?

Randy

#2 ·
the reason for it is beacause if you wreck and spill anti freeze on the track it is very dangerous for other riders. As far as prep work goes just make sure you tape up your headlights, tail lights, turn signals, remove your mirrors, and also tape your wheel weights. And most importantly, ride within your limits

#3 ·
u dont have to remove your mirrors, at Jennings they allow us to fold it up and tape it to secure it. Use ur lap timer if ur bike came with one in the last few sessions to see how much u have improve; but yea like Rob said stay in your limits.

#6 ·
don't really have the time to order, do you know a company that stocks this tape???? What is a good alternative?

Originally posted by Kawirad
For tape try this: http://www.findtape.com/product177/...qUwOsuA==&cid=21&idx=9&tid=1&info=Racers+Tape they are easy to remove; traditional tapes will melt in the headlights.

EDIT: sorry here is the assortment of tapes, look at the racers version http://www.findtape.com/category/results.aspx?cid=21&vw=a&bc=G_RACG&gclid=CMCA38fstIYCFSBsUAodqzVjQg

#10 ·
On my bike I take the entire rear fender off (only like 15 minute job at most) so all I have left is the fairing and the muffler. I remove the mirrors at their swivel points, only takes maybe 5 minutes. Just remove the foam cap thats over the hex bolt and remove the bolt. I remove everything I don't need at the track cause its less that I'll have to replace if something goes wrong.

For the ligths just oull the fuses for the headlight and taillight under your rear seat to turn them off.

#12 ·
i was signed up for the 29th but had schedulig conflicts. You will have a blast dustin and the staff are awesome. just remember to ride at your own pace and honestly dont use ur lap timer its not a race just go have fun and you will be an addict like me. ALso find Gil he is a worker he should be there he rides a cbr 600f4i or a cbr10000000 hes really short and wears glasses tell him Ryan Hong sent you and for him to show you around the track to learn the lines.

#13 ·
Make sure that you flush the coolant system several times to get all the green stuff out. If your using Water Wetter, use distilled water instead of tap to prolong the seals - it contains much less minerals. If the organizers will allow it, you may also look into running Engine Ice as an alternative as it's a pre-mixed solution that includes a water pump lube. The formulation and ingrediant list is differant than regular coolant.

Q

#17 ·
Dude take all your plastics off with anything that emmits light. Sell it. Buy track plastics. Paint them. Viola, no more having to remove mirrors and taping up lights.[:p] HAHHA Stay in your own pace. You're their to learn more than to "show fools up." Pretty soon the more track days and you'll be turning way better lap times than you did your first track day. Have fun and don't be a jerk on the track.

#18 ·
A buddy of mine used some colored duct tape on his lights at the last track day. It seemed to work perfect, and somehow it didn't leave a sticky residue on the lenses like other tape does. It was bought at the local wal-mart.

btw, it was 105 degrees that day & it still peeled off just fine.

#19 ·
The first track day I did, I just pulled the fuse for the headlights. Now, I have race fairings so I don't have to worry about it.

Make sure you don't forget to drain the overfill reservoir when you're flushing the old coolant. I did that and then had to go through the entire process again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.