Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am finally getting serious about a riding jacket. I have been using my leather jacket I bought when I was in high school over 12 years ago. Dang I'm getting old[:0] Anyway it just isn't working when I get to 80-100 it beats the crap out of me cuz it is so baggy and it feels like it is going to right off, I feel like a human kite.

Anyway I don't want to be considered nor do I consider myself a squid, but I have got to find something different. My leather jacket besides being too baggy has a wonderful quilted thinsulate liner that is getting way to hot already. I have taken a couple of rides in my windbreaker, which felt great temperature wise, but I want a bit more protection. I don't do the aggressive hardcore sportsbike riding as many here, mostly the casual enjoy the bike and scenery ride with my wife. Very seldom do I take it up to 100 mph, mostly stay within the speed limits (no I am not BS ing either) So do you think I would be okay with textile, or would you still insist on leather.. also should I be set on having armor or not

Thanks guys for your input

·
Registered
167 Posts
IMO Leather. Glad the forum guys talked me into getting one. Got the Joe Rocket Blaster Jacket and the leather pants to go with it. They zip together like a suit and are extremely comfy, a little warm on sunny days, but not when your moving. Has a removable liner for hot days and zip open vents. I feel sooooo much safer wearing all my gear and I think it looks pretty cool too. Not too flashy, but kinda professional. In fact, I got pulled over for speeding, the cop complimented me on wearing all of my gear, and let me out of the ticket.

·
Registered
587 Posts
come look at any shop in miami and you'll see dust on the leather jackets. lol just way too hot here for that shit.

from what i've heard leather withstands 80ft of sliding before it tears

textile i think about 50 or so feet

jeans 4 ft.

i wear textile and i'm happy with it, and my jacket cost $160 instead of $300+ so you cant beat that.

if you're worried about heating up in leather get textile, but weigh out your climate, in miami its mostly 80-95 degrees all year around so for the 2 weeks of 50 degrees i cant justify buying a $300 leather jacket. your case may be different. either way dont be worried about textile, its good shit!

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
25,935 Posts
Brocktoncycle.com has on the home page leather riding jackets on sale. According to the descripting the jacket does have armor. I think they are called Mossi Race Jacket or something like that. I'm looking at picking one up soon, so leave one of the green extra fat ones for me.

I've run textile most of the time and its usually pretty comfortable once you get it broken in.

Hey, I know a girl in Columbia.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Joe Rocket Alter Ego is a leather jacket with a huge zip-off section that converts the jacket into mesh with just the upper torso / back and side of the arms as a leather. It works perfectly as both a mesh and a leather jacket. I live in the desert where daytime temps easily get into the 100's but the nights can drop down as low as 50 so it was the perfect choice for me. It's good for those that want both a leather and a textile in one package.
The zip-off section is a little bulky though and I doubt if it would fit in anything other than a decent sized backpack and the jacket is on the expensive side.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Originally posted by MexFlex
Joe Rocket Alter Ego is a leather jacket with a huge zip-off section that converts the jacket into mesh with just the upper torso / back and side of the arms as a leather. It works perfectly as both a mesh and a leather jacket. I live in the desert where daytime temps easily get into the 100's but the nights can drop down as low as 50 so it was the perfect choice for me. It's good for those that want both a leather and a textile in one package.
The zip-off section is a little bulky though and I doubt if it would fit in anything other than a decent sized backpack and the jacket is on the expensive side.
Just to clarify this, the Super Ego is the leather version, the Alter Ego is all textile... I have the Alter Ego and love it because its really 3 jackets in one. If you really want leather, the Super Ego will giev you that, with the flexibility of taking off layers, as needed.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
a good fitting leather jacket will have less drag then a textile jacket. When I ride in my textile jacket, I feel like I a kite too, gets very annoying on long rides.
My leather jacket I don't even feel on the highway.
my NJK textile is speed tested to 165mph by yours trully with no drag problems.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I replaced my joe rocket speedmaster jacket for the kawasaki asphalt leather jacket. I found that the asphalt jacket was the only jacket that gives me warmth in the cold and when its 90+ w/ humidity the airflow vents open up and give great flow. If it wasnt for the black color it would be like wearing my joe rocket phoenix jacket (mesh).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaMike

Anyway I don't want to be considered nor do I consider myself a squid, but I have got to find something different. My leather jacket besides being too baggy has a wonderful quilted thinsulate liner that is getting way to hot already. I have taken a couple of rides in my windbreaker, which felt great temperature wise, but I want a bit more protection. I don't do the aggressive hardcore sportsbike riding as many here, mostly the casual enjoy the bike and scenery ride with my wife. Very seldom do I take it up to 100 mph, mostly stay within the speed limits (no I am not BS ing either) So do you think I would be okay with textile, or would you still insist on leather.. also should I be set on having armor or not

Thanks guys for your input
Definately go with armour, and maybe even having the option of upgrading to the "hard type" later.
I looked at a Fieldsheer textile and was impressed at how well made it was. The shop was closing them out and didn't have my size, so I went with a JR Alter Ego mainly for it's versatility. Good textile coats will do the job, but leather is your best choice for protection. If heat is an issue, perforated leather is an option as well. I really like the Vanson perf leather on the "newenough" site...but it's $$ and adding armour is extra.

Jackets can be like shoes and helmets. How they fit you is as important as their features...and some coats fit some people better than others. It's hard to find a "do it all coat", so go to shops and try some leathers and textiles to see which is better for you....but do go with armour;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by ffej

Just to clarify this, the Super Ego is the leather version, the Alter Ego is all textile... I have the Alter Ego and love it because its really 3 jackets in one. If you really want leather, the Super Ego will giev you that, with the flexibility of taking off layers, as needed.
Thanks, my bad, it is the Super Ego as you said...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got this leather jacket at the beginning of the year...

http://www.fieldsheer.com/web2006/PRODUCT/introduction/leather/AIRSPEEDIV1.htm

I wore a fieldsheer textile jacket before that...but I had to put a windbreaker and sweater underneath when it got 60 degrees or less...the leather jacket is great for cool weather rides...have used it in 40 degree weather...and it is perforated...so it is not as hot during the summer...I have only tested it on 85 degree weather...but I am sure it should be alright for 100+ degree weather once the texas summer hits...

Take it from a guy that has used both textile and leather...go with the leather man...with armor...I have also heard horror stories of guys going down while wearin textile jackets and having the mesh melt into their skin..especially on 100+ degree weather...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, its not leather, but it is a jacket and though it has soft armour I can upgade it if I want. I didn't realize the difference this jacket would make over my old high school coat.. NO more Kite flying OF ME. This jacket fits so darn well and believe it or not I feel more confident on the bike even in hte wind

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.