Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm only about 5'0" tall. I want a bike so bad I can't stand it. My boyfriend has a Honda 600RR. I don't know what to look for as far as what kind of bike to get. I have have been looking at the Kawasaki 250 or 500 b/c I was told they would be good starter bikes. My concern is a 250 would just not be enough. If I'm gonna get a 500 then why don't I just get a 600? I just don't know what to do and I thought I would be able to get some help from the ladies already riding. I realize I will probably have to lower my bike. How do I go about factoring that in and how do I get that taken care of. Who should I trust the most. (by the way, I'm in the Raleigh, NC area) Ladies help me out. Give me some good advice so I can get my first bike.

Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome RidinLow! I got my 250 last year and was absolutely thrilled with it. A year later and I still don't feel as if I am 'ready' for something larger in CC's much less the extra weight. I am 5'3" and tippy toe with the 250. Considering having my seat shaved to give me an inch or two. I've been told that a 500 is a great 'starter' too, but I wanted something 'smaller' that would not be too overwhelming to learn on. Sure the other ladies can give you some good advise as well. I think in the end it all comes down to personal preference. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you should get the suzuki 500. I just went today to look at one for my g/f and they are pretty light bikes, the only thing is if you dont know how to drive stick or kind of have a clue have your boyfriend take you to an open parking lot and just run through the basics with you otherwise i think you should get the 500 its just as light and your not gonna want to upgrade in a year even though the kawi is cheaper your gonna take a hit cause no one will really want to buy the kawi. I think the suzuki 500 would be perfect for you, go to the suzuki near you and just sit on the bike and you will understand what i mean its just as light and your gonna stick with it for about 2 to 3 years with it. I know this is a girls forum but i want to help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! Thanks for the info. I still exploring my options. I think my BF and I are going to go look at bikes within the next week or 2 just so I can physically compare all my options. It's one thing to just read the specs but to actually feel the difference is another.

As far as driving a stick, I know the basics of a car, but have not actually drivin it excpet one time a long time ago. I understand it's a lot easier on a bike. But none the less I will be taking the riding course at a local technical college, which should help me out a lot. I have heard a lot of positive things with taking that class.

As far as the Suzuki 500, do you think it would need to be lowered for my height. I have looked at it but I can't exactly remember the specs. I know a lot of women use their toes or the balls of their feet but I don't know if I want to trust that. I'm sure once I get riding I will feel more comfortable but right not I want to know that I can pretty much flat foot it.

Thanks again for all the help!! :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
i have a 250 and i'm about 5'3" and i am pretty much flatfooted on it. The bikes we used during the saftey course that i took were really small, they were 150cc and i was more than flatfooted (knees were bent) which was great because it made me feel very comfortable controling the bike. My advise is to take the course first, then you will know what you can handle.

The 250 isnt as slow as you might think...my boyfriend rides a ducati 996 (thats a crazy fast bike) and he has driven my bike. He always says how fun it is when you rev the crap out of it. For the price... $2,700... (and how well they hold their value) seems like a given, exspecially if ur gonna want something much bigger once you become "better than the bike" is, in the future.

Remember, its better to be safe then sorry

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i have a heavily modded 250. the seat height is about 31 inches right now (stock is 29 inches). i am 4'10" with a 29 inch inseam. i can't touch at all. (giggle) for me, i don't need to touch the ground much at all to be comfy. one set of toes at the stoplight is about all i need!

but everyone is different.

the very most important thing to worry about when buying a bike is how comfortable are you on it, sitting, riding, moving it around in the garage, etc. don't worry about resale value, getting "tired" of the bike or anything. studies have shown that most people crash within the first year of owning a new bike because of lack of experience with the motor itself. now multiply that by being a new rider.

the ninja 500 is a sweet ride, but will have about a 31 inch seat height- there are some adjustments you can make from the rear spring, but i don't htink you'll get more than a half an inch out of it. the gs500 is a nice little motor- puts out less hp than the ninja 500 but not by that much (tho it does cost a bit more, i believe). but it's heavier, wider and taller than the ninja. i looked at the gs (the nekkid one) a few years back and it just seemed very cumbersome for a small person. i could have ridden it just fine, but pulling it out of the garage, etc. would have been kinda rough for me. like buying an older 600.

you may love the 250, you may hate it. it's hard to say.

i have nearly 16,000 miles on my 250 and am currently averaging 1 minute, 40 sec laps on the local road racing track with it, which isn't very fast, but it's about average for the class i'm in, which is filled with inline 600's and sv 650's. if you really want to get the most out of a 250, you will. it's all about how you ride it. take it to a track day or a race school and see what it's really made of.

if you're going to get a bike lowered, in my opinion, it's a waste to do it to any 500. it's going to cost a bunch and if you take the msf class and practice taking off from one foot, it will be easily resolved. have you looked at these?
http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/gt250r.html
it's pretty inexpensive and recently i sat one one. seemed very narrow and light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ladies for the info. The other night I ordered some boots that will give me about 2 inches. I'm looking at bikes now and will look more when I get my boots. With the 2" boots I can save the bike and not lower it as much. I will probably end up shaving the seat about an inch and then maybe the bike about an inch. So we will see what happens. That's where I'm at right now so wish me luck. I ordered a leather jacket and am looking for a scorpion helmet. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on these helmets let me know.:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
2"??!! Harley boots? Regarless, I hope it won't interfere with your shifting foot. Would like to know what kind of boots! I'd like to have an extra 1" or 2 myself!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by RidinLow
Ok, I'm only about 5'0" tall. I want a bike so bad I can't stand it. My boyfriend has a Honda 600RR. I don't know what to look for as far as what kind of bike to get. I have have been looking at the Kawasaki 250 or 500 b/c I was told they would be good starter bikes. My concern is a 250 would just not be enough. If I'm gonna get a 500 then why don't I just get a 600? I just don't know what to do and I thought I would be able to get some help from the ladies already riding. I realize I will probably have to lower my bike. How do I go about factoring that in and how do I get that taken care of. Who should I trust the most. (by the way, I'm in the Raleigh, NC area) Ladies help me out. Give me some good advice so I can get my first bike.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Welcome RidinLow! Great question posted. I've got a few myself. Hopefully, I'll be out looking to purchase a bike in the next few weeks. I'm still a bit ignorant to bikes and the variety we have to choose from (although I plan to get myself a 250 for starters). I'm having some difficulty deciding what type of bike I want - standard or sport. I'd love to get some ideas and opinions on the difference (preference-wise) on the bikes. What do you find to be more comfortable, easy to ride/learn on, etc. I love the sport bikes, but I also like the easy riding of a standard bike. I'm just undecided (although I'm leaning towards the sport). Just wondering what the benefits are and why each is liked... Thanks ladies! [:I]

·
Registered
20 Posts
my first bike has been a zx-6r (01) and i absolutely love it. I had the exact same delima with lowering the bike, since i am only 5'2". but i put lowering links on (well i had the boys do it... i supervised) and it took maybe like 30 minutes to put them on, and then lowered the triple tree to make the bike ride level, so my front end isnt crazy higher than my tail. with my street boots on, i can touch flat footed on both sides, but with tennis shoes, im almost there, but not quite. you just have to sit on a bunch of bikes, and see how they feel. if you think a 500 or 600 is going to be too much for you, then go with the 250. i got my 600 mostly to commute with, but also to hit the canyons, and twisties out here as well, so i wanted more power, plus the guys i ride with mostly have 1000's. i cant keep up in the straight aways, but hitting the corners through the twisties, you can give them a run for their money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.