Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok has anyone ridden the two back to back? how big is the difference in midrange tarque? handling quality?
i am shopping for a new bike and its down to those two.. i have ridden the 636 already but not the gixxer 750 so i am interested in general observations...
also does anyone know if u can fit a slipper clutch from a 600rr into the 636?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
From the off the GSX-R feels a little more planted than the 636, but that's a consequence of years of incremental revolution. Since I've sorted the suspension (especially on the rear) I've been running FASTER times on the 636 than I could achieve on my old GSX-R Thou.

Getting out of the corners the bike is superb, fast guys on R1's and 750's have commented on how fast the bike is on corner exit - just when they thought they'd have me on the way out they were fooled yet again haha! I believe this is down to an easier throttle response out of the motor, I can nail it and the thing hooks up and goes, I LOVE it!

Mid corner the bike is good, I can point it were I want and this aids in corner exit. Getting into the corner is a different story, I crashed on the way INTO a turn for the first time in years on this bike, I haven't got the front end sorted like I want yet.

Top speed, the GSX-R 750 trumped the 2001 R1, go figure. The bigger bikes start catching up down the longer straights, but lose out on the increased entry speed the lighter bike allots you.

As far as I know, it is possible to fit the slipper clutch onto the 636. This will require the output shaft and the entire clutch assemply from an RR model. Because you're doing the output shaft, you'll need to split the cases - have fun.

My biggest gripe with the bike has been lack of spares. The GSX-R's have been around for a long time and a lot of the parts are interchangable, rearsets and bodywork, for example. It's a lot easier to find usefull parts on eBay with a GSX-R than it is with the Kawi's. I'm sure that'll change a bit over time, but the definative four cylinder club bike is the GSX-R 600.

If you weigh anyhing over 130lbs and want to do track days, you'll want to have the front end re-valved. Nothing is worse than a completely bottomed-out front end on the way into a 120mp/h corner. I can't comment on the rear shock because I junked that thing for an Ohlins unit right away and Ohlins needs no comment.

I love my bike, I bought it because I worked at a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership. I liked the fact that the organisations that I want to race in accept a 650cc multi cylinder limit. I wanted the extra power. I stayed off the R6 because OE Yamaha parts are generally more expensive and, as mentioned before, I wanted the extra CC's for some cheap power. I will admit however, that if I worked at a Honda dealership I would have bought the CBR 600RR. It's a fantastic motorcycle straight out of the crate. All the 600's feel weak compared to the 636 but I'll take turn-in performance over a few horsepower any day, which the Honda has in spades.

·
Registered
493 Posts
just a thought... the nex 750 gix looks to be an awesome bike and should blow the 03 away in braking and have a signifgant power increase... they should be out pretty soon... might wanna check those out

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx strongbad.. thast the sort of response i was after ;) i am surprised to hear that the 636 front shock is that soft [:0] i am not too interested in top end speed since the track i frequent is very tight.. so good turn in and power out of corners is what i am after.. therefore no 1k bikes for me.. the maine advantage of the 750 appart from few extra ponies is the fact that i can get lots of parts for it fairly cheaply including raceglass from few racers i know.... thx again

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by drumannewman
just a thought... the nex 750 gix looks to be an awesome bike and should blow the 03 away in braking
I'm gonna disagree on this point. There's nothing to suggest that. The 636 is still lighter and has the hardest hitting stock brakes in the world. Gixxers have always been known for wooden brakes (with the exception of the Thou's radials). Less mass is easier to stop, and the 636's fronts are as good as they come.

I have done the 636 / Gixxer 750 back to back MANY times this year (my closest riding buddy has a 2001), and also plenty of side-by-each runs. The 636 has much closer gear ratios which means if you shift it right there's almost nothing between the bikes until the 750 REALLY gets wound out. I'll take the 636 over the 750 if I was shooting for top lap times, but it IS a little more work because of the shorter gear ratios. You gotta keep your left foot dancing, whereas the 750 can be lugged a little more. The 636 feels much sharper and more nimble, and for tracks with lots of switchbacks ("S-es") you'll really notice this. SB's right, you need to set up the suspension on the 636 carefully though. The 750 is a good bike, it's just a little softer handling and less whippable in my books. The top end rush is very good, and the thing I like most about the 750 is that it is more like a 600 delivery than a 1000. You can still pretty much crack it coming out of the corners onto the straights without worrying about sending yourself ass over teakettle.

The 2004 will likely be a new story though, because they've lightened up the bike, added a few ponies, fixed the braking, and sharpened it up. It will likely be the best all-around combo for the average to advanced rider.

·
Registered
493 Posts
DJ im on your side! im saying the 04 gix will blow away the 03 gix in braking... not the 636...our brakes are so awesome that the 04 750 is gettin the same as our bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.