Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first bike and a more responsible sales person swayed me from buying a liter bike. Not because of my lack of riding experience but because the learning curve to becoming a better rider would not be as steep. I bought a ZZR600 which has proved to be all I can currently handle and I have no trouble hanging with two buddies who have been ridding for several years on bigger bikes. I am almost sure it is due to the fact they both bought liter bikes as first bikes. I was able to test my theory when I rode both bikes last weekend over the course of several hours. Every time I would launch the bikes fairly hard from a light it felt like the front end light very quickly regardless how I shifted my weight on the bars. This of course would cause me realize my limited skills and I would quickly back off the throttle. I experienced the same type of issues when exiting out turns if I got on the gas just a little to hard the tires would break traction and I would back off the throttle. As a less experienced rider I can ride harder on my zzr600 without the fear that riding a larger bike strikes in less experienced guys like me. The owners of those bikes (R1 and ZX12r) won’t admit it but the bottom line is they are more afraid that respectful. With that said I’m sure this why I can ride just as smooth/fast with less bike and less experience. Just my observation

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I'm a firm believer of starting relatively small and working your way up. Good choice! Glad there are still a few salesmen out there that might actually genuinely CARE about the riders they sell too.. ;)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by Sanjose636
Holy crap Willidx4, you thought you could hop on a 1 liter and be cool. HHAHAHAHA That's funny. Good thing you had some sense. Ride safe.
Happens every day.

I've talked to several locals who even admit to looking down on people who don't ride 1000+ cc bikes on the street. If you don't ride a GSX-R 1000 or an R1, or Busa, or whatever.. you don't belong around them. Stupid.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Mr Zero is right. Around here, there are some "clicks" where the guys thing they are in gangs and shit. If you ride up on them on something under 1000cc, they want to piss on you and give you shit. I'm tempted sometimes to yell "fuck you and your shitty bikes" so they'll chase me up to the hills and then see what they got. They're all straight line riders, my co-worker knows them, and he says they can't turn for shit and I'd embarrass them if they joined up with me and Zero on a group ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yo, I think you guys are payin attention at crap. who gives a damn what some punks in their late puberty stages think about your bike, especially when it's obvious that those that talk most know how to ride worst. This crap is always the same, not only in bikes culture. I've been doing martial arts or similar fighting most of my life, so I have some experience. Very often some dumbasses come and tell me that, for example, taekwondo is crap and he's been practicing muay thai so I'm a dead meat. Dead meat, my a$$. Free trip to the hospital is what followed. So, the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter so much what you are using, as long as you know what you are doing and you are good at it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, Sanjose636 thats funny , man I'm way pass the "trying to be cool stage of life". The point of me ridding both bikes was to confirm what I already knew, both of these guys bought more bike then either of them could handle. Oh.. and yes I went into a the dealership armed with advice from people that I know who have been ridding for years. The advice was “oh you're a big guy buy a 1000cc bike" "oh buy whatever you want just be careful" "Don't buy a 600 you will be bored in a few weeks" With that said, yes I considered buying a liter bike but lucky for me their was a sales person that actually owned a 636 and has been ridding for over 20 years. He showed me three bikes zzr600, zx6r,and the zx6rr. He told me pro cons, I settled on the zzr due comfort, price, insurance... did I say comfort? He also mentioned I should not worry about the over all performance gap between the zzr600 and the other two models. Simply, due to the fact that those differences could only be exploited on a race track by very experienced riders/racers. I am 37 years old so when presented with facts and sound reasoning I have no trouble putting my ego in the rear hatch of my mini van, next to the soccer balls and baby strollers.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by willidx4
LOL, Sanjose636 thats funny , man I'm way pass the "trying to be cool stage of life". The point of me ridding both bikes was to confirm what I already knew, both of these guys bought more bike then either of them could handle. Oh.. and yes I went into a the dealership armed with advice from people that I know who have been ridding for years. The advice was “oh you're a big guy buy a 1000cc bike" "oh buy whatever you want just be careful" "Don't buy a 600 you will be bored in a few weeks" With that said, yes I considered buying a liter bike but lucky for me their was a sales person that actually owned a 636 and has been ridding for over 20 years. He showed me three bikes zzr600, zx6r,and the zx6rr. He told me pro cons, I settled on the zzr due comfort, price, insurance... did I say comfort? He also mentioned I should not worry about the over all performance gap between the zzr600 and the other two models. Simply, due to the fact that those differences could only be exploited on a race track by very experienced riders/racers. I am 37 years old so when presented with facts and sound reasoning I have no trouble putting my ego in the rear hatch of my mini van, next to the soccer balls and baby strollers.
You're a smart man!

It seems clear that you realize riding is not about 'being cool.'

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's funny that you mentioned the fighting, Bat Lamboo. Everyone that joins a friggin cardio kickboxing class thinks they can fuck everybody and their mommas up just doin gay ass drills. HAHAAHA People that think they can fight don't understand how to adapt to the other persons style. That's most of the time, even if they won the fight they still come out of it with black eyes and fat lips.[B)]

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by willidx4
I am 37 years old so when presented with facts and sound reasoning I have no trouble putting my ego in the rear hatch of my mini van, next to the soccer balls and baby strollers.
Wow; common sense...good for you!

One question though; I don't have a minivan. Can I put my ego in the 4WD next to my KFX400 ATV? LOL (I my be getting old, but I refuse to grow up).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by bat_lamboo
yo, I think you guys are payin attention at crap. who gives a damn what some punks in their late puberty stages think about your bike, especially when it's obvious that those that talk most know how to ride worst.
ACTUALLY, i rode up on the president of j-vill riders (8 year old bike group, biggest in jacksonville) and he fuckin went OFF on my ass at a gas station after we pulled over. He was braggi nabout how his bike is bokred out 1400cc blah blah, been riding for 8 years blah blah....and then he asked me if my bike was a zx9 LOL (it's a de-stickered ZZR and its all busted up in the front from when mom wrecked it)

it absolutely WHOMPED his ass in from highway offramp turns...it got ugly..then i'd slow down and wait for him to try again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.