Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally intended on getting a 600 after my 250, but I'm wondering how crazy of a jump it'd be to go to a 1000.

I have an 08 Ninja 250r that I'm proud to have 3000 miles on. I honestly plan on riding it to about 5000-6000 miles before thinking about moving on up. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
No. Bad. Search. and No. You'll shoot your eye out.

Reactions: Mike_Diako

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
^ Just my opinion. It's possible to do it safely, but I think it would be a much better choice to get a 600.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Look at my thread I post the other day. You might want as well as jumping to 600. 1000 is just overkill. I am gonna share it with my experience of riding a RSV1000 when I come back after friday night.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i think your balls grew larger than your head but good luck...3000 miles? you havent even broken the bike in
wait a year on the bike and then move on to the 600 or you should of gotten the 600 in the first place...i sometimes wonder if some guys were just that pre cautious on getting a 600 and instead got a 250 first..why are you now trying to be opposite of pre cautious and jumping the 600 over to a 1000 ???? that makes no sense

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I definitely won't upgrade until I get 5000-6000 miles on my 250 at least. I originally planned on getting a 600 next... but uhh my neighbor changed my plans. He's selling his Ducati 1098 (not a 1000cc I know... but same range). He and my dad are pals and offered it for $10k and it doesn't even have 2000 miles on it. He used to ride harleys and uhh chose that Duc as his first sport bike. Needless to say, he's too scared to ride it now lol.

Thanks again guys. Another year or two, then I'll get a 600.

·
Registered
802 Posts
As long as you have good throttle/brake control no bike should give you problems.

When i went to the motorcycle show and sat on the GSXR 1000, R1 and the ZX-10R. They all felt like fat pigs, no offense to those who drive them. Wouldn't get one unless it was free(or close to). 600s felt perfect but due to cost i got a 250 as well.

Conclusion: Getting a liter bike, even when starting is not crazy as long as you're comfortable riding it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
As long as you have good throttle/brake control no bike should give you problems.

When i went to the motorcycle show and sat on the GSXR 1000, R1 and the ZX-10R. They all felt like fat pigs, no offense to those who drive them. Wouldn't get one unless it was free(or close to). 600s felt perfect but due to cost i got a 250 as well.

Conclusion: Getting a liter bike, even when starting is not crazy as long as you're comfortable riding it.
It's not about being comfortable, being comfortable is often a false security. I'm sure you probably know if you've had an accident or two. It's about having knowledge and the experience to back it up.

Reactions: BCD636

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's not about being comfortable, being comfortable is often a false security. I'm sure you probably know if you've had an accident or two. It's about having knowledge and the experience to back it up.
You're right about experience but you can ride a 250 for 10+ years and then hop on a 1000. If you're scared shitless of the power and about crashing it you're 100x more likely to crash then a less experienced rider (level headed, not squid) who's confident (not cocky) about riding it.

Edit: So basically it's a balance of experience and mentality about riding the bike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks guys. I definitely won't upgrade until I get 5000-6000 miles on my 250 at least. I originally planned on getting a 600 next... but uhh my neighbor changed my plans. He's selling his Ducati 1098 (not a 1000cc I know... but same range). He and my dad are pals and offered it for $10k and it doesn't even have 2000 miles on it. He used to ride harleys and uhh chose that Duc as his first sport bike. Needless to say, he's too scared to ride it now lol.

Take it from a guy who's owned an RC51 now for 5 years. The 1098 is a huge jump. I rode mine (1098) in the hills yesterday for the first time-roads I know like the back of my hand-great pavement-no traffic-perfect weather and all I can say is WOW!! The 1098 is a liter bike in a 600 package. I've been riding a liter bike for 5 years and it still caught me a little off guard.

Don't get me wrong-I loved it-but jumping from a 250 to a 1098....no way-you just wouldn't be happy or comfortable (and I'm not talking about footpegs or how the seat feels) IMO.

Like has already been said-enjoy a 600 for a few years-heck no one really needs a liter bike on the street anyway. I do trackdays and I'm a jaded 29 year motorcycling veteran (a.k.a old pop....at 42) and those are my bikes of choice-but you'll love a 600-and may never decide to move to a 1000cc motorcycle.

Enjoy!! And post up some pics when you get your new bike.:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I definitely think most people will never be able to use the full power of a liter. 600 is the perfect balance between. I originally wanted to get a 600, but because of insurance cost I chose the 250, and it's still a fine amount of power for the street. Whatever kind/size bike you need to realize that every time you ride you're taking the risk of crashing. Respect the bike and don't do anything out of your riding experience.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,422 Posts

From a 249cc parallel twin to a 1099cc L-twin...yeah, I don't see any problem with that. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've put a little over 8000 miles on my 250, and around 4000 miles on my 650 and about 4000 miles split between 2 cruisers. I can tell you that while I am almost proficient at riding my 250, I still have not ridden that bike to the limit. Do what you want to do as far as getting another bike, but the important thing is to learn how to ride, not learn how to ride the bike you have. Experience and skill transfer from bike to bike. Doa couple track days and take the ERC, that way you know what your limits are - after 3k miles on your 250 I'd bet you have only reached *your* limits, not those of the bike.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
+1....being comfortable is often false security. Take it from the guy who thought he had it all figured out after three months of riding and then crashed....twice :rolleyes:

My own two cents would be to go to a 600 next. Power isn't the only factor....liter bikes are also much bigger, heavier and will react differently to certain situations. I think riding a 600 will give you a better appreciation for how a liter will act.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i'm actually going DOWN for my next bike.. 250... Something to toss around & fine tune my turn-ins, learn to drag knee, experiment, etc. Figure a used cheap 250 would be perfect & i wouldnt be so nervous about dropping it. Also people are always asking me to teach them to ride, & i'd be more than happy to teach them on something like that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
600. Not only would it be much safer but a 1000 is boring on the street since you can't use it at all.
And you can use all of a 600 on the street? To be fair most of the power in a 600 is higher up in the rpm's. Where the 1000 has it throughout and more in the bottom then a 600. So for street riding the 1000 with its lower end power may be better for street riding. Since you wont need to be on it in such high rpms. That all being in a perfect world where no one crashes i see no point in having a bike of anything over 250 cc's other then loving bikes and wanting what you like.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ive done 6000 miles on my 250..... 600's are tight...i like em....tried out my friends cbr1000......but i honestly think 600's are more than enough.......that fkn 1000 just takes off n b4 u know it ur already doin 70 in 1st.....

ive gotten used to riding the hell outta my 250 redlining it and i enjoy that....i dont think i can do that kinda stuff with a 1000 or a i4 600.......soooo i think ill be chasin a 650r next xD.....

ask ur neighbor to let u ride the fkn 1098.....it might just change ur mind right back into gettin a 600 next hehehe

·
Registered
802 Posts
The more i think about it the more i really don't care for a 600 let alone 1000.

As it's been mentioned 600cc+ bikes are more than what's needed for street. Heck even on the 250 you can still get a pretty nice speeding ticket. I think the only size you can truely rip the shit outta and not worry is 50cc scooter.

I'm only going to upgrade if i find a bike I like (because of looks) not because i feel the need to justify myself because a 250 is a "learner's bike".

So question for you, (don't need to answer it here, even at all) but why are you upgrading?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts

Wait...so you sat on liters at a bike show with no key in it and that's how you came to the conclusion that you only need throttle/brake control to step up? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts