Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ummm... It depends. I suppose that if I had to guess, that I would guess it is just sloppy shifting based on percentages. But, since I am not there to look at your bike, I can't tell for certain.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was just playing around on my bike tonight, and a couple of times under hard acceleration when I went to shift into second, the tranny went into neutral.

Is this just sloppy shifting on my behalf, or is this the start of some bigger problem?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

PS Bike is '98 '6R just turned 20000 km (12500 miles). I Don't know if the tranny has ever had any work done, as I just picked up the bike used.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sorry, but sounds like sloppy shifting. In your defense, the Kawi gearboxes are a little more notchy and require a more deliberate shift, especially if you are coming off, say, a Gixxer... I'm amazed how precise the box on my cousin's Gix 750 is compared to mine... sigh, guess you can't have it ALL...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
695 Posts
I concur with DJ, I've heard from alot of people that kawasaki's gears require a bit more "work" than some of the other sport bikes out there.

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Believe it or not, I'm really happy that it's something I'm doing, and not the tranny!

I am fairly new to sport bikes, so I will just take more care to "complete" the shift from now on!

Thanks for your guys' advice!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
hmmm...... my brother has a 98 gsxr600, and neutral seems to be a 7th gear for him. i rode it and it didn't seem that bad, but it did go into neutral failry easily [B)]

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" -Mark Twain

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yeah, you got to remember to pull up hard and full when going 1st to 2nd. Lousy positive neutral finder.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used to have exactly the same problem when I first got my ZX-6R. Now I'm used to it, I haven't had it jump out for ages.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ensure that your gear change lever is set at the correct height, If you find that you have to move your toes a long way before you contact the lever you will never get precise changes.

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well if you think that is bad, I was out practicing sum wheelies today the the bike kept jumping out of gear altogether and it sounded like it was hopping from gear to gear. The only way to fix it is to pull the clutch in and shift gear again. The last straw was when I was using the on off method to pop the front but when I put the gas back on it went into neutral just as I pulled the throttle back. My poor baby! I'm taking it into the shop on monday hopfully It isnt anything too expensive.

"Speed kills, but atleast you get there faster."

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I also from time to time hit neutral when I actually want second gear.

But I also have a much easier time going from first to neutral when I am at a stop. Just a real simple small click up and viola, the P.N.F. does it's job real nice.

I talk to most sport bike guys and they say the toughest thing about shifting on a sport bike is finding neutral. But in the opposite, the shifting through all six gears is same. On a Ninja first to second is a tad longer throw, and then the rest of the gear box is the same.

Most of the people I talk to on Suzuki's or Honda's wish their bike had a P.N.F. as well. Yamaha riders seem pretty content with what they got.

So, with a Ninja, I count my blessings. I'd rather have it easier to find neutral and then remember that first to second just has a slightly longer throw then the rest of the gearbox rather than it be harder to fins neutral with a short first throw.

-Flash

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check your chain condition and slack, It makes a big difference to the transmission feel.

It should be between 35-45mm in total from link centre to link centre midway between the front and back sprockets on the underside of the swingarm when pushed down and up as far as you can. Also if you can 'pick' the chain off the back sprocket with your fingers and see daylight between the chain and sprocket, then it is wearing and that will certainly make the transmission feel much worse. Sticking a new chainset on the bike will make it feel like you have a new gearbox. You can easily shag a chainset in 12500 miles.

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.